Raw Apple Cider Vinegar

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by urban hen momma, Jun 28, 2011.

1. urban hen momma

urban hen momma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    I have read from different sources how much and when to put raw acv in water for chickens. My question is how much does everyone put in water for chicks and do you add it all the time or do you follow the once a month for a week method?

Currently I have been giving my 3 week old chicks one tbs per gallon... thanks!

[​IMG]

2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Right now I use it every time. I started out with 1 tsp per gallon and then raised it to about 2 tsp per gallon and now I use 1 tablespoon.

3. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    every water refill I give about 1 T

4. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    I've been reading up on this also and will start adding it next time I'm out to buy some.

Thanks for the amount recommendations.

5. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Is there a big difference between the raw apple cider vinegar (such as Braggs) and the plain ACV (such as Heinz)?

6. livenwpeeps

livenwpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    King William
    Quote:I have tried both and found that the raw apple cider vinegar (such as Braggs) did a better job with less used. The waterers stayed cleaner. I beleive it has to do with the "mother" part of the raw product vs the plain product. I hope this helps.

7. srfjeld

srfjeld Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    what does the apple cider vinegar do?

8. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Quote:Thanks so much, livenwpeeps. I'm off to get more Braggs since I just ran out. Now, if only I can remember which grocery store carried it.

9. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thanks so much, livenwpeeps. I'm off to get more Braggs since I just ran out. Now, if only I can remember which grocery store carried it.

Someone else mentioned they bought it at Kroger. We don't have a local Kroger so I bought it at GNC.

10. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    FYI, you can make the "good" kind yourself. [​IMG]

Get a bottle of Bragg's or other unpasteurized ACV. Get a gallon of the cheap stuff at the grocery store.

Take a cup of the cheap stuff out of the gallon bottle (and make salad dressing [​IMG]). Shake the Bragg's up VERY well and add a cup of the Bragg's to the gallon bottle.

Cover tightly and put the gallon bottle in a dark closet or cabinet.

In 30 days, you have a bottle of the "good" stuff. You can seed future gallons of cheap stuff using this as well.

Enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by