Raw/Bloody Backside

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Aaron, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Aaron

Aaron Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2008
    I woke up this morning to find that one of my chickens (and only one) now has a very raw backside. She is moving around slowly, but she does not have too much difficulty moving. There seems to be pus, which is causing the injury to smell bad, and flies are attracted to it. I have attached pictures so you can see for yourself.

(click on the pictures to make them larger)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What is wrong with my chicken?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  2. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    this happend to my friend's chickens the bare but i mean. hers had lice. just puff some DE on them with a giant eyedrop thing. best of luck. as for the pus and smell idk

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I can't diagnose what is wrong with her but I can tell you how to help her.

Wash her bottom well with some warm soapy water. You may have to make a sitting bath for her to make sure every bit soaks clean. Dry her well. Look for maggots and try to clean them out of her. You must do this. Maggots from fly strike will give hr an infection and kill her.

Once the maggots are gone and she is clean (you may have to clean maggots out over a period of time if it causes her a lot of pain) I would coat her rear in Blu Kote. It is in the horse section of the feed store it is antibacterial, antifungal and will help seal the wound.

Put her in a small quiet dim place inside away from the flies and other chickens that can cause more injury.

Give her raw apple cidar vinegar in her water. Give her some higher protein feed like game bird or chick crumbles. Give her 5 drops of infants polyvisol liquid vitamins daily for 5 - 7 days.

Get some good bacteria into her by feeding her yogurt and/or kefir.

Keep her warm.

If she doesn't show some improvement in 24 hours you can try to find a vet that might see her.

I dn't like giving antibiotics when there is no specific diagnosis but if you begin to smell a stench after she has been cleaned and treated it means she has an infection and needs antibiotics.

Keep us posted.

4. Aaron

Aaron Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2008
    Sorry, but what does DE stand for?

5. cherrychicken

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    demacious earth however you spell that

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Do not put DE on her. DE is a drying agent and won't help with this right now. Pus does not indicate lice.

I am sorry but cherrychicken has ill advised you at this time.

And it is Diatomaceous Earth.

7. cherrychicken

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    hey maybe it's bad advice sorry! [​IMG] i just said that's what my friend did when hers had a bare butt!

8. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    This is not just a bare butt.

There seems to be pus, which is causing the injury to smell bad, and flies are attracted to it.

DE will not cure puss, remove maggots or heal this hens bottom.

We must be very carefull when giving advise.​

9. cherrychicken

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    ok ok ok im sorry you win! i just read that bare butt was one of the symptoms! sorry

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    NP.

We don't want to give advise and the person come back and blame us if something went wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by