Raw Bloody Vent / Butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlueBob, Oct 1, 2013.

1. BlueBob

BlueBob Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2012
    I was recently gifted a young Black Orpington pullet that's got a pretty bloody rear end. She was a new intro and the previous owners other birds were pretty rough on her. I sprayed some BluKote on her bum and have got her seperated from my birds. Is there anything else that I should be doing for her? Any other medicine that would speed up the healing?

Other than the bloody/blue butt she's seems fine. She eats, drinks, talks, and her poop looks OK to my untrained eye. Thanks for the help.

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    You could try putting an application of honey to her backside... it has antibiotic properties and may well help with the healing process.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would wash her with some warm soapy water, and then apply some antibiotic ointment (nothing that contains "cain/caine" ingredients, as they aren't good for birds) or more BlueKote to the wound(s). Make sure she continues eating and drinking, and watch for signs of infection. Keep her isolated until she heals completely, and then you can try introducing her to some other birds.

4. BlueBob

BlueBob Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2012
    Never heard that about honey but since she's on shavings I figured that would make another mess. I'll keep up with the Blu Kote. Thanks for the replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by