Raw chick feet (pullet - 1-1/2 weeks)....How do you bandage chick feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by festivefeet, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. festivefeet

festivefeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    1) BUff Orpington - Pullet - 1-1/2 weeks (seems to be runt). Her name is Charlotte.
    2) Has had issues with feet since we got her...odd yellow scabbing, pealing on bottoms and now very raw. These are not burns, she has had nothing to cause burns. This has just progressed. SHe used to have yellow scabbed growths between her toes, which seems to have resolved.
    3) Some of the cracks have blood scabbing.
    4) She came this way.
    5)Chick starter, antibiotics, vitamin supplement. I was told to give her some sort of biotin, but I don't know what that is and where to get it. I tried TCS.
    6) Normal poop.
    7) neosporin, aloe from a plant on her foot....lanolin.
    8 ) Can't afford vet...trying to treat on my own.
    9)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    10) She is in a brooder with pine shavings. I have also supplied paper towel for her to walk and sit on. The brood is larger than needed....so she has room to get away.

I have been told to bandage her feet. How in the world do you do this? And how will she walk to get food and water?

Thanks.
    Jessica

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. inezbouley

inezbouley Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    Florida
    I'm not sure what you're dealing with here...may be a fungus? Bumble foot in guinea pigs comes to mind....

I would try to clean the feet with warm soapy water and try to get most of the scaling off.

As far as bandaging, I would be certain the feet are completely dry, you might want to get a triple antibiotic ointment/cream and apply to the feet, then take some non-stick pad (Telfa pad) and place a small piece on the sore areas. Then, take a cotton roll or gauze like roll (maybe a 1/2" or 1" size) and start weaving around the toes and work your way up to the ankle. I wouldn't wrap the foot together like a boxing glove, but wrap each individual toe until you get to the main foot, then wrap up the leg.

Don't wrap too tightly!

After placing the guaze, get some coflex or vetwrap or some self sticking bandage wrap (kind of plasticky for lack of a better word). And again, starting at the toes, work your way up.

Never wrap from the ankle down! You can cause serious circulation harm that way.

I would clean and change the bandage wrap daily.

Good luck?

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

She needs to be separated to be given TLC.
    It looks as though Charlotte was injured before you got her.

Whatever the cause it looks as though there is infection.

Search above on bumblefoot, we have numerous threads.

If you bandage while she is with others they will probably peck at the wrappings, whatever you use. I'd be inclined to leave it open for another day or so while she is segregated and to keep the bedding meticulously clean. Wash or use some witch hazel or tincture of iodine on a Q-tip to dry it and sponge gently. Such infections can go very deep and become systemic, this has to be solved asap. I like tincture of iodine because the stain it leaves indicates where it has been applied.

Might require antibiotic in drinking water, so if you don't have any, you should begin to search. Is there a local poultry person you know and trust?

Best of luck with Charlotte, problems with chicks can be heart-wrenching.

ps- raw egg yolk is rich in biotin.

4. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    Clean like they said with iodine mix or chlorohexedrine (sp?) dilution. I'd put triple antibiotic or bag balm then spray with blu-kote (fungicide/germicide spray). I have one with a club foot that has been difficult to keep from getting sores. I haven't bandaged yet, but may try since she is now outside. It's a hard one, I am going to look and see what people have suggested doing after treating for bumblefoot.

5. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    Oh, biotin can be found in a vitamin B complex. You can get the liquid vit B at the grocery or pharmacy in the vit section. For a chick that size, usually just a drop or two a day.

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by