Raw diet for dogs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by redhen, Aug 5, 2009.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I was wondering what types of meat are acceptable? And also, how much do you feed of it a day? For example..My male Saint Bernard, eats 10 cups of dry a day. Female Saint, eats 6-8 cups of dry a day. Mastiff (8 months old), eats 10 cups a day dry. How much raw would they need? And do i even want to know? [​IMG] Thanks for any help. [​IMG]

2. katrinag

katrinag Songster

We feed our Mastiff a 1/2 raw diet. He is 3 and is about 200#. He gets any kindof meat. Rabbit, cow, pig, deer, chicken, you name it. He gets about 15# of meat a day. I buy out dated meat or post on GL for freezer burned meat.
    I have alos asked the local meat lockers for there scrap.
    It can be very $$$$$$$.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  3. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Some grocery stores will sell chicken backs and necks for stock. I used to buy them in 40 lb cases.

That may last you a week with such large dogs. [​IMG]

You will need veggies, organ meats, etc too. Somewhere around here I have the BARF book. You can have it if I can find it. My guy is too old and too toothless for the diet now.

-Cindy in MA

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    15lbs a day!? [​IMG] Ooh boy...
    Plan B... [​IMG]

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Hey Cindy! WHat store sold you the backs and necks? I'm in Mass also. THanks! [​IMG]

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Jake is 75 pounds and eats 4 cups of Kirkland kibble a day plus 1 to 2 cups of chicken soup or ground chickenburger. Jenny eats about half of that.

I smoked a duck earlier in the week. I then slow cooked the carcass giving me 5 quarts of duck stock. The bones and remains were then run through my grinder giving me around 8 cups of duckburger.

Almost nothing from my chickens goes to waste, the dogs have a great diet, and it ends up costing me less than $50 a month to feed them, including the cost of the chickens.

They had deer burgers with me this weekend too. [​IMG]

7. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Quote:I got them at Whole Foods in the next town (Bedford). They got them by the case from Bell and Evans. But that's probably too far for you. Maybe you can ask the butchers at a nearby store? What do you have nearby? I know Market Basket now has some economy packs of chicken for $0.59. It includes some backs with legs, etc. Some Market Baskets sell B&E so maybe they can get the necks and backs too.

There's also Especially for Pets in Acton that has premade raw. They're a small chain and have other stores though I'm not sure where. I remember one guy who would stop by monthly to stock up a bunch of coolers of raw stuff for 3 GSDs. $300 something! every time.

-Cindy

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I need to figure out something different for their feed. I think my male has allergies to dry food or something..he gets hot spots and his ears seem like they bother/itch him..

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:I got them at Whole Foods in the next town (Bedford). They got them by the case from Bell and Evans. But that's probably too far for you. Maybe you can ask the butchers at a nearby store? What do you have nearby? I know Market Basket now has some economy packs of chicken for $0.59. It includes some backs with legs, etc. Some Market Baskets sell B&E so maybe they can get the necks and backs too.

There's also Especially for Pets in Acton that has premade raw. They're a small chain and have other stores though I'm not sure where. I remember one guy who would stop by monthly to stock up a bunch of coolers of raw stuff for 3 GSDs. $300 something! every time.

-Cindy

Thanks! Now, your sure they can have raw chicken.. [​IMG] I've always been a sissy about that..

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Yum! Deer burgers! Lucky dogs! [​IMG] It costs me way more then $50 a month to feed mine..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: