Raw Dough and Chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by obeloinkment, Sep 5, 2013.

1. obeloinkment

obeloinkment Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    My Coop
    Of course I post this AFTER I fed it to the ladies, but they haven't skipped a beat from it.

I've read that you shouldn't feed chickens uncooked pasta, but I'm assuming this means hard pasta? Last night I made Pierogi (the dough is simply flour, egg, water) and when I was done rolling them up, I had a little ball of dough leftover. We took it to the chickens and they were just about knocking us over, performing stunning vertical leaps for a peck at it. It is the most voracious i've seen them. Any reason not to feed them this raw dough? If not, I found their new favorite treat.

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    They can consume all of the ingredients separately. I don't know of anything that makes them toxic when combined.

3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

as long as it isn't super moldy, I don't see why it would be bad. :)

4. obeloinkment

Aug 3, 2013
    My Coop
    In that case, try it they LOVE it!

5. obeloinkment

Aug 3, 2013
    My Coop
    Update: I now believe this to be dangerous food. Yesterday we again took the chickens a small ball of leftover dough. They were jumping waist high trying to steal it from us and when we were on the ground trying to divide the dough. They surrounded us... I felt like the dough was preparing them for soft skin and that we were about to be eaten. It turns them into MONSTERS!

6. Valk

Valk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Durango, Colorado
    They also react the same to cheese. Perhaps it's the softness they enjoy?

7. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

A bucket of earthworms does the same thing since they then decide your fingers must be worms too :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by