RAW EGG LOOKED ALMOST LIKE A HARD BOILED EGG INSIDE????

joannnewbie

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
So a few of my hens have started laying eggs. We are a few weeks into it now and happy with the results. I went to cook scrambled eggs last night. My 3rd egg, I cracked it in the the bowl and it came out almost completely solid, white like a hard boiled egg. It freaked me out so I poured all the eggs out, got a fresh bowl and started again. My next egg, same thing! This time, I touched it and realized that it seemed to be frozen. I threw it out also but felt somewhat relieved but I would like some confirmation that this is what the issue was.
Background info:
My husband recently turned the temperature down on our fridge. We do have the issue that it will freeze lettuce and other things if it is in the back of the fridge. The eggs had definitely been collected within the last 10 days. All the eggs have been collected on a daily basis.
Again, it almost looked like a hard boiled egg with the white part solid and white, not clear, but it still had a little bit of runny white stuff also.

Thanks for reading!

Frozen eggs. Yep.

My eggs will freeze in the refrigerator quite easily if I just move the temp down by one degree!!

You can thaw them out and use them right away. After eggs freeze (this is good to know for winter) the shells may crack. Hence, if I collect eggs in winter I am very careful about cracking them in a separate bowl to check the egg first AND also using them up more quickly in case they did freeze. It will turn the whites watery as well. I do keep them in the refrigerator in the winter as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying. I needed reassurance that my eggs were still good :)

First time chicken owner comes with some surprises but I am loving the whole experience. Thanks for the tips
smile.png

My daughter so enjoys turning the fridge temp up so I've seen a few frozen eggs before. Was it icy?

Found this pic online, is this what it looked like?

Definitely similar but the white part was even more solid looking. I think it was extremely frozen!!

Back
Top Bottom