Raw Hamburger or Cooked?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ragladysews, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Ragladysews

Ragladysews Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    NW Georgia
    Should I cook it or give it to them raw?

2. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I would cook it well done but be sure you have pickles, hot sauce, catsup and mustard on the side. You just never know what they'll want. [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well mine say to hold the pickles and onions, and cook it rare. [​IMG]
    Seriously, I don't know what should be done, but I give mine a little raw burger beef sometimes. Some chickens will scoop up a small mouse or snake to eat, and they don't seem to mind whether those are cooked or raw [​IMG]

4. Ragladysews

Ragladysews Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    NW Georgia
    Maybe a little mayo too! Ill probably fix a couple of burgers with bread and sit in the coop and hand feed it to them.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Cook it. Processed (ground) meat has a much higher risk of being infected with salmonella and other pathogens, which can infect chickens and lead to chronic infected carriers, and even be incorporated into the eggs.

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Quote:I was kidding about all the other stuff but that's the main reason I was saying cook it well done. Even rare meat isn't good for use. But I've cheated on that. I like medium rare steaks but hamburger meat I have to have the blood out of it.

7. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:Oh that is cute! [​IMG]

8. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    I've been giving my hens a bit of raw, low fat, grass-fed beef for a couple of years with no ill effects. I only have six hens and one pound of organic grass fed beef lasts me about three months. I separate it into servings, wrap them in Saran and freeze them. Use as needed.

The point is that I don't think it needs cooking.

They can get all the rest of the fixings on the side.

Mary

9. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Interesting. I would have thought raw.... as cooking kills any enzymes in it that are beneficial and the reason you would feed meat in the first place. My thoughts ocme from the fact that I feed my dogs a raw diet and you never cook it. I never would have thought of chickens catching something from it. Does anyone know if that in fact, does happen?
    sharon

10. jpcode

jpcode Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Sacramento
    I don't think raw would hurt them, having seen chickens eat maggots out of cowpies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by