raw hiney

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vanyen5400, Jan 7, 2011.

1. vanyen5400

vanyen5400 New Egg

Jan 6, 2011
    This 1.5 y/o black australorp molted normally last fall. She never grew back her new plummage but rather continued to lose more feathers around her vent and below. I have her away from the flock to prevent pecking (for the past week) and have used antibacterial ointment in the whole area 1 time per day for 6 or 7 days. (Some of the bedding has stuck to this ointment.) Some days the area is normal skin color, others it's bright pink/red. So the ointment isn't doing much, if any, good. Any suggestions?

marti

/forum/uploads/75598_2009_new_camera_132.jpg

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Have you gotten her down and checked her over for lice or mites?

3. vanyen5400

vanyen5400 New Egg

Jan 6, 2011
    I do not see anything on her. Any other ideas?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How about a nice warm soak with some epsom salt water? Hens love a good soak and this just might clear up the redness. Could she be pecking at the area herself? To help with her feathers coming in try upping her protein intake, scrambled eggs, yogurt. lean meat, . mealworms. cheese. Feathers are protein so thats what she needs now. Can you get a picture of the area?.. also if you decide to soak her be sure to dry her real good after.... I am sorry for not saying [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  5. vanyen5400

vanyen5400 New Egg

Jan 6, 2011
    I will try your suggestions tomorrow - thanks

Being a "new egg" I can't post pictures yet. I took pictures and tried to post but it didn't work - oh well!?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by