1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raw meat

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chik magnet, Oct 24, 2009.

1. chik magnet

chik magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Enid OK
    Deer season started a couple of weeks ago and my family has shot some deer and I was wondering if you could feed your chickens raw meat cause I have plenty of it.

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    NO. absolutely NOT. cooked only. they will eat things they kill raw, but you should only serve cooked items for sanitary reasons.

3. sjh

sjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Quote:Hence the reason for butchering your own animals. You are more sanitary than those fly by night deer butchers. I have seen some nasty thing in animal procesers buildings.
    It is ok by me to feed them raw meat. Just make sure it is good meat.

4. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    It is not uncommon for wild animals to have worms, and the worms eggs can move through the blood stream. I would suggest cooking before feeding to chickens.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree.

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I think it's perfectly safe. We had this argument a little while back. Chickens will eat raw meat and are equipped to handle it. I throw them mice we catch in the traps all the time and they catch their own mice and sometimes other things. Someone posted about their chickens catching a wild bird and eating it. We feed our dogs and cats all raw. They have different digestive tracts than we do and are not as sensitive to any bacteria found on raw meat. I would go ahead and give it to them. I do prefer though to freeze raw items first if possible in order to kill parasites but it's not usually necessary if you have meat from a healthy looking animal.

7. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    I feed it to my girls raw. They are much more likely to pick up parasites from the snails and bugs they eat than from deer meat.

I will freeze it for a couple weeks if it has some stomach/intestinal matter on it. I also do this for my dog who is raw fed.

8. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Feed an animal what it was designed to eat by mother nature. Chickens are omnivorous and thrive on a varied diet, which includes raw meat and insects.

Never saw an animal cook their food and they do fine [​IMG]

9. bryan8

bryan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Quote:Not true. First off chickens are built to handel alot, of foods. Raw meat has a lot of good stuff for them, and fresh meat would cause no problems.

10. chik magnet

chik magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Enid OK
    Well they found a little meat on the ground and they all fought over it, anyway thank you guys for the help.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by