Raw milk nutrition?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by abbymckinn, Jan 5, 2014.

1. abbymckinn

abbymckinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Hi, we have three goats, one of which is milking. We LOVE her milk!! It's so good! I know it's really healthy raw, but we were wondering if it still had all the benefits when it was used for baking and cooking? Thanks for any help!!

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I am not sure what you mean by benefits. Goat milk is good for you. Easy to digest and all that. You can use goat milk in any recipe that calls for milk.

3. abbymckinn

Aug 17, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Like, how raw milk has so much beneficial bacteria, that is all killed during pasteurization. So I'm wondering if you still get all the good bacteria when it is baked/cooked?

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Since heat kills bacteria, no. By the way, properly produced milk is low in bacteria.. High bacterial counts are not good. They hasten spoilage and some of them will make you sick.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Raw goats milk makes the best french toast ever! I cook with it, but like others have said, once it's heated, it loses much of its good bacteria. The exception might be chevre cheese. I've made it and it's heated at such a low temperature for a short amount of time, that I don't think it kills off the good bacteria. It's really simple to make too.

Any milk you have that starts to sour, give it to your chickens. They love it and it gives them the good bacteria for their gut.

6. abbymckinn

Aug 17, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Ok thanks!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Heating it does destroy a lot of the beneficial properties. That's why when you make yogurt from raw milk you don't heat as high as pasteurized milk, to retain the benefits.

8. rawmilkmike

rawmilkmike Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    Properly produced raw milk is low in unwanted bacteria. Beneficial bacteria are but one of many important parts of raw milk destroyed by heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by