raw milk

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kstaven, Oct 27, 2007.

1. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Any of you out there know of a raw milk supplier in washington, idaho, or montana that could ship a few gallons a week? About to lose our old supplier in washington and our cow isn't going to be producing for months.

Way off topic but there is such a diverse group here I just had to enquire.

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    sorry, I can't help you. I am sure someone will respond if this is bumped up. Good luck to you!

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Wish you lived in TN...we just came across a source for it.

How long is it good for? We just got a gallon last week and it still smells good so we're still drinking it with no ill effects.

Dawn

4. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
  5. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Dawn I don't know how long "processed" milk is in the stores but I know raw milk will last at least two weeks in fridge if kept very cold. I never have mine that long as I make Miss Prissy's yogurt, cheese and butter every week from the two gal. I get from local dairy in exchange for 2 doz. eggs each week. I told him I was coming out ahead but he just smiled and said he loved fresh eggs and two doz. was enough. How nice is that in this day and age?

6. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    We ordered a couple gallons a week up until recently. Lots of dairies in Washington and neighboring states but few that ship. We are right on the Canada/US border north of spokane and had it shipped to a local shop there. Have to pick it up and bring it across the border from there.

Thanks for the link pipermark. I have been down most of that list with no success.

Raw milk will last longer in the fridge than its pasteurized counterpart.

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Thanks ozark hen & kstaven!

I grew up around it since my uncle had a dairy farm.

Last weekend, I sent Skip up to the neighbor (closest to the chickens) with a dozen fresh banty eggs, as a "thanks-for-putting-up-with-the-noise" gift. He told Skip he's enjoying the birds as his mom raised them for food when he was a boy, he's a WWll vet. He trades someone used fence posts at a rate of 1 six foot metal post for 1 gallon of fresh, raw milk. I'm thinking we can definately work something out here with him! [​IMG]

Dawn

8. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    Pipermark,

I was so excited when I looked at that website and saw a provider in the town I live in. Then I read closer and all of them are goat milk providers no cow milk provider [​IMG]

We've got to buy more land and make pasture out of it.

jackie

9. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    jackie, Miss Prissy uses goat's milk and when I spent summers on my grandparent's farm in Erie, PA, that is all we drank was goat's milk.

Dawn, I see a barter in the works for you! [​IMG]

10. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Goat milk is good for you and if they have a good line of dairy goats, you might be surprised how good it tastes.

The reason many people do well on goats milk and not cows milk is because of the different proteins. I know people who are lactose intolerant that just a small amount of cheesse or any cow milk products sends them running to the rest room (where they certainly dont rest), however they have no problems at all with goat milk products.

The other thing I like about goats milk it isn't homogenized, there is no reason too, it is naturally homogenized. I personally do believe in pasteurization, if you do it right. The heat required to kill the potential bacteria and viruses is below the temperature that would destroy the enzymes, proteins and vitamins naturally found in milk, therefore I think it is analogous to cooking ones food.

I have goats milk I like and I have been offered goats milk that had so strong a smell to it I didnt drink it. I have been told these are the reasons

1. Type of goat
    2. Goat milked wrong time of cycle.
    3. Billies in with does.

Not sure about the reasons, but I do know there seems to be more of a variance in the taste and smell of goats milk than cows milk.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by