Raw Milk

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Waight, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Waight

Waight Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    Saint Charles, Missouri
    What is your opinion on raw Milk? I've never used it or had it before and I'm wondering if it would be safe to use. I want to start making my own butter and what not and everything I've been reading suggest the use of raw milk.

2. rrrmamma

rrrmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    New Concord,Ohio
    My husband thought he couldn't drink cows milk. He would get a migraine headache. Last summer I had access to raw milk. I used some of it to make fresh mozzerella cheese. He took a chance and tried some. No headache. It is safe if the conditions around the milking and the equipment is clean and the cow is healthy.Know your source.

3. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    x's 2 you might want to know your local laws also. Here in NC, it is illegal to sell raw
    milk, but what some don't know, will not hurt. [​IMG]

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I will assume its illegal to sell it as food for humans. But it prob. can be sold as animal food. In germany as an example its illegal to sell hatching eggs on EBay. But the get around by selling them as fresh and fertile eggs for human consumption. always read the law and find a legal loophole. Also find local dairy farms and see if they offer milk that is treated in a certain way so the cream/milk fat still rises to the top. Here in Juction City we have Hildbrands Dairy. THey are the ONLY dairy in Kansas that makes "creamline milk" =milk where the milk fat still rises to the top. Its really yummy, they also are the only ones that offer Rootbeer flavored milk.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I wish it were legal to sell raw milk in my state. I would be the first person in line.

6. HCFarms96

HCFarms96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    We have dairy goats, and therefore have raw milk. It is safe as long as you make sure it is handled very carefully and everything it touches is kept very clean. There are a ton of health benefits with raw milk, too.

7. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Does anyone know what a gallon of raw goat milk costs in those states where it's LEGAL to sell raw goat milk?

8. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Those in power would say raw milk is bad for you, but it's not, it's that crap that's heated and processed that's bad. Raw milk is amazing and though illegal you can buy it if bought for animal consumption ;)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Yep, I plan on buying some raw goat milk for my chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, rabbits, sheep, goat, peacocks and cat. A LOT of animal consumption at my house. ;)

10. AllTheseCreatures

AllTheseCreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

I got my hands on a couple gallons of raw milk a few years ago and it made the most wonderful Feta cheese I've ever had. I think raw milk can be safe, but I would never want to see raw milk coming out of a commercial farming operation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by