Raw rice?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Lothiriel, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Can I feed it to my chickens? My dad said that it explodes in their "gullet" (read: crop [​IMG]) and I shouldn't give it to them.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

It's an old wives tale. OK to give them raw rice. I do about 1x a week for years.

Imp

I read years ago that it started as an April Fool's Joke in the 1950's, in a Dear Abby or Ann Landers column.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Agree with Imp. That old wives tale even made cities pass ordinances making it illegal to throw rice at weddings for fear of killing wild birds! [​IMG]

No one told the wild ducks and other birds about it though, they still gorge on the rice fields when they can.

4. sambia62

sambia62 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2011
    this is great to know I have quite a bit of rice i need to get rid of maybe i will just mix it in with my other feed will that be ok ?

5. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Ive wondered the same thing. My soon to be ex bought a huge bag of brown basmati rice from costco and my kids wont tough it because its to "chewy" translation...healthy for them. Im not a rice eater at all so I wont eat in. Can I mix it into the feed for them or give it with treats sometimes.

6. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Since Imp and galanie told me it was ok to give it to my chickens, I've just been giving them some plain in their "snack bowl" every day. They go nuts for it.

7. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Grew up next to Rice fields and worked in /hunted in, and all kinds of birds eat it.Ducks and geese fly thousands of miles to feed in those fields.Our chic ate it too...cva34

8. onafixedincome

onafixedincome Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    The problem comes when you scatter or feed instant-type rice, I believe--it *does* swell up when wet.

Just how much rice can chickens have in their diet? A friend is feeding almost exclusively to her free-range chooks, and there's not a lot besides the rice available to them at the moment...

9. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    I add "raw" brown rice (and millet) to my homemade scratch mixture. It also contains rolled oats and BOSS. They love it and it's very healthy.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  10. mondotomhead

mondotomhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge
    I make up Minute rice and scramble some eggs in it for my chickens. Do you guys think this is OK? I DO NOT give them raw Minute rice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by