1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raw spots....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CCourson05, Mar 13, 2011.

1. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I have chickens and roosters with bare butts and the rooster's rawness extend to his upper thigh. So, how do I fix this? I am worried that it might cause other problems. [​IMG]

2. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I have several hens that have rooster damage. I am not worried about that part. But the butts and the upper thigh worries me.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    More information would be helpful, this could be from different things. You could start with answering the questions in the sticky at the beginning of this forum.

4. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    RIR Rooster. about 9 months...give or take a few....no idea
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    No unusual behavior. Just looks terrible
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    A few days now
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    Yes, but only their butts. I suspect pecking.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    I have seen a hen pecking a hen.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Normal diet. No change
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    A few have runny.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    I have tried upping protein.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    No vets here for chickens. So myself.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    None
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    hay. Housing an enlosed area with parallel roosts. They have plenty of room to range also.

5. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I would coat the raw areas with an ointment intended to prohibit pecking. Just check a small area first, some of these products sting. Your birds might also be bored. Try giving them a head of lettuce or cabbage or a box of waste vegetable matter to scratch in.

Just some suggestions. I sometimes, "go fishing", when I cannot figure out what is wrong with any of my chickens. [​IMG]

6. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I have also hung cabbage in the run. They love it, but it only stays there for so long. I feed them corn, laying crumble/pellets. Cabbage. Tuna. Minute amounts of cat food. Grit. What is the best way to give them high amounts of protein?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by