Raw unpasturized cider vinegar the water?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by newchick13, Sep 16, 2011.

1. newchick13

newchick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    I have heard that adding this to the water not only is good for the chickens, but also keeps the slime from growing. I'm not talking nasty green algae slime, but the thin clear slime in between scrubbings. My grandfather swore by the stuff as well as my aunt. He had us drinking it, putting it on rashes and sunburns too! There are all sorts of benefits listed on line, but I'm just curious to hear from you all! This website is the chicken encyclopedia!

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    If you are talking about apple cider vinegar (Mother's?) people on here swear by it as well.

3. mistakingdeer

mistakingdeer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    I used it for the first time this summer here in NC were we had a lot of days in the high 90's. I noticed the sides of the water containers didnt get a green film. i do daily water changes and its suppose to prevent disease-causing microbes and helps remove mucus, which can reduce respiratory infections.
    Vinegar and water can also be used as a non-toxic disinfectant, deodorizer and anti-bacterial cleaning solution for the coop and living areas. Mix one part vinegar to three parts water, fill a spray bottle with the mixture, and spray the coop and living areas

4. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

5. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    yep, that's it!

6. newchick13

newchick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    that's the stuff! My son asked to taste it so i mixed in 1 tsp with 1 tsp of agave and mixed in 8 oz of water. He loved it!

7. Klwright1122

Klwright1122 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Lillian, AL
    I was gonna ask about this too...I just bought a bottle the other day...was hoping I bought the right stuff!!! So how much do u put in the water? I have several 5 gal waterers... And a couple self watering...

8. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    1 tablespoon per gallon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by