RaybonFarms

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Raybon Farms, May 28, 2016.

1. Raybon Farms

Raybon Farms Out Of The Brooder

My chickens are not laying like they have been. I have food out all day and don't pick it up until I put them up for the night. What is the best way to feed a chicken?

2. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    Are they eating but not laying? Or not laying and eating at all?

3. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    :woot

X2 on silkiecuddle's question.

4. Raybon Farms

Raybon Farms Out Of The Brooder

They eat all of the time with food left and have food in front of them until I put them up at around 8:00pm that is when I pick up their food. They have gone from 18 to 22 eggs per day to 14 to 17. I have not changed their food but I live in Conroe, Tx and it is hot now around 80 to a little hotter but cooler at night . I had these same hens last year an I don't remember the drop being so bad. None of them have been sick or anything. Am I just being too worried?

5. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    It could be the heat. Are any of them molting?

6. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA

Hi welcome to BYC I feel you with the egg problem I have 20 birds and o haven't got an egg in over a week and they are perfectly healthy but they haven't laid anything so I wouldn't worry and up here in pa it has been getting around 80-90 degrees here in the day. But with all this rain and being they need a bigger coop is why I think they arnt laying. But anyways once again welcome to BYC when u have any questions I and many others are here to help.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What breed of hens do you have? How old are they? Some of the high production breeds are full blast for the first two years and then a lot less. Other hens that are a few years old they could be past their prime also. But heat is a common reason they slow down or stop. If you can give them shade and cool water they may do better. Also put out shallow pans of water for them to stand in. Cool feet = cooler bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by