Raynaud's Syndrome

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, Jan 5, 2008.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hey Y'all, I'm not trying to start a big debate or blow up over health issues. Just get a little imput. I recently found out that the trouble I have been experiencing with my hands is Raynaud's Syndrome. The doctor said I basically have two choices...steroids or wearing Isotoner gloves 24/7. Since I don't tolerate steroids well, I opted for the gloves. So far I've had huge relief, even if the gloves are a pain in the you-know-where. Last night I dropped my brand new cell phone in the dog's water bowl trying to pick it up with gloves on! [​IMG]

Another strategy I read about is using paraffin wax treatments. So I'd like to know, does anyone use either the gloves or the wax and how good was the relief?

P.S. Now that they have diagnosed me with the Raynaud's the doctor says I was misdiagnosed with fibromyalgia 12 years ago and what I actually have is either a. Lupus, b. Rheumatoid Arthritis, or c. Scleroderma. I'll find out soon, after more tests are completed.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My mom was dx'd with Reynaud's. At the time she had her hands xrayed, and all the tips of her finger bones were dead . Since then she has been dx'd with scleraderma. That was 15-20 years ago. They moved to Florida 12 years ago, and she doesn't have any complaints. She never had steroids. But her doc said avoid getting your hands cold.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks seminole. The doc says the Isotoner gloves give your hands slight compression and keep them warm, and so far so good.
    Oh how I would love to be able to tell the SO that we have to move to Florida. Actually we will have a vacation home there sometime in the future.
    Here's hoping that your mom is able to stay complaint free.

4. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    Gritstar,
    You may want to investigate and read a bit about sjogren's syndrome. It is pronounced "show-grens". A very dear friend of mine went though a tremendous amount of mis diagnosis pain and heart ache before she was diagnosed with this. It is often misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia and or lupus, or can piggy back with either.

I have had luck with parafin wax treatments with my arthritis, but it seemed to work best for acute pain, and was not a long lived relief. Although, this is probably largely due to the fact that I had to go to a salon to get it done. If I had a treatment at home, I would do it daily. It feels wonderful and is very penetrating.
    Rachel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by