rbamterry (Amanda) Your a grandma again! New Pics added 5/13

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kelseygirl707, Apr 30, 2009.

1. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    I bought a Barnyard Mix from Amanda, and Last night the first Chick hatched, then today another, Both are Cochins. I have 4 more chicken eggs still hatching, 2 have pips, 2 are being lazy, and 1 duck egg that still has 2 weeks to go. THANKS AMANDA!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is #1 Taking a nap in the bator after a tough break out!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Beautiful chicks![​IMG]

3. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

Thanks for sharing. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Oh my gosh!!! That last one is adorable!! Are you sure they're cochins, they look like tuxedo quail! [​IMG]

She is a grandma here as well, I have 2 baby bantam EE in my bator! [​IMG] They will join their 'mama' outside once I get my butt off the computer! [​IMG]

5. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Congrats to you too Shelly!

I just added two more to the brooder from Amandas eggs, Another Cochin and a OEGB. I still have two more in the bator, but I think they may have quit about a week ago, so now I'm awaiting the hatch of the Duckling! [​IMG]

I Love the Markings of the Newest Cochin.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is all the Babies together!
    [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    That newest cochin is very pretty, it looks almost like a partridge. Funny, I don't think she has partridges? My cochin baby I have from her eggs I thought was a mottled splash. I'm not sure what color it is, it's almost like a blue pied? It's back is kind of grey, and it's wings and breast, basically everything else, is white. But it is very pretty, unfortunately it looks like a roo [​IMG]

7. arllcountrygirl

Yes, it is partridge - I also have them [​IMG]
    I have also found out that one of my hens is throwing lav babies [​IMG]
    Now I have to figure out which one and put her with my lav roo. Could that be what yours is Shelly [​IMG] They start out looking like a mottled light colored chick and then turns lav.

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Could it be mottled lavender? It really does have a lot of white on it, it's basically pied looking. But the color on its back could be lavender, I haven't seen many birds of that color in my area. But it was very light when it was itty bitty, and now it's just kind of grey. I'll try to get a pic, but it's dark already, and we know how well the pics turn out with unnatural lighting [​IMG]

Oh, and you know what else? Both of the EE babies look identical! Probably came from the same mama! And they also both have pink legs, which I thought was kind of weird. But they sure are cute, they are going to join their 'mama' tonight. I have a hen that has hatched at least 10 of her 12 eggs, but she cared for 13 babies last fall, so I know she can handle it [​IMG]

ETA: my baby pics (hope the OP doesn't mind [​IMG])

Cochin baby-----
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EE babies-----
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry they are so bright, natural light is so much better! Plus I think my batteries are dying again in my camera [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  9. arllcountrygirl

Could it be mottled lavender? It really does have a lot of white on it, it's basically pied looking. [​IMG] You will definitely have to keep me updated. I am curious - I would love to have some mottled lavs.

Oh, and you know what else? Both of the EE babies look identical! Probably came from the same mama! And they also both have pink legs, which I thought was kind of weird. That is weird b/c all the birds in that pen have green legs. [​IMG]

10. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    So just an update on the babies, they are gowing up so fast, LOL.

The OEGB is a handful, for this reason I'm thinking it's a roo, LOL!

Cochin #1 My Fave, Lucy
    [​IMG]

Cochin #2 Grettle (I'm thinkin girl) already has a smaller comb then Cochin #3
    [​IMG]

Cochin #3 Hansel, I'm thinking a boy, he's a trouble maker and has a larger comb than Cochin #2
    [​IMG]

OEGB, Trouble, "He" just wants to be left alone, LOL.
    [​IMG]

Playing Peek-A-Boo in a box, so cute!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blurry, but I thought it was just the cutest fuzzy butt ever!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by