Re: Always end up with one chick.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickNLittle, May 23, 2008.

1. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Almost everytime I hatch eggs, unless they are my leghorns x barred rocks, I always end up with a splayed leg chick. Some I've had to cull. This one is a silkie and I dont' want to cull it unless I have too. Its getting around eating and I tried the band-aid dealy Unless I'm doing it wrong, but the band aid just comes off. What am I doing wrong? She looks healthy except for those darn splayed out legs. ????[​IMG]

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Here's a link the Feathersite's raising poultry page. They have a small section listed in the middle of the page about spraddle leg and how to treat it. They use pipe cleaners or yarn and have a picture of a chick being treated. I hope this helps. [​IMG]

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKRaisingChicks.html

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Use a little bit bigger bandaid so you have more of the sticky part to wrap around the legs. Plus you can wrap the legs then sit the chick in a drinking glass for a day or two only taking it out to eat & drink a couple times a day. I've used the glass trick and it does help.
    [​IMG]

4. ChickNLittle

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Alright, I got a pipe cleaner on him or her? She is just standing there and when she tries to move, she sorta falls on her face. I didn't put it very tight. Do I need to make sure she can get to the water? I don't want to put her right on top of it, for fear she might fall into it. Its a small shallow bowl, but you know what they say; two drops does it all. How long do I need to leave it on her?

5. ChickNLittle

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Hey Poison

How about a tiny box instead of a drinking glass? She is a silky and I had a white leghorn hatch and the silkies are pecking the hair of her, or at least they were. She does have a few bald spots. They are only within a day of each other.?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by