re: Apolgies 4 wording in pricing egg post and plea to free egg giver

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ewesfullchicks, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ewesfullchicks

ewesfullchicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2007
    Firstly - I do feel I owe an apology to the list for using the word "stupid" when discussing pricing. It is certainly an inflammatory word, and therefore, I deserve to get at least some of the backlash I've received.

In my ideal world, I'd like people to realize that their cheap cheap eggs from the Walmarts of this world come at the price of horrific suffering of the poor hens who provide those bargain eggs.

Many of those who pick up the bargain eggs just don't think about what their food dollar purchase promotes. Some don't want to think about it, many don't care - some DO care, and would be prepared to pay more for improved animal welfare. It is those I'm trying to reach.

For you kind souls (and you less than kind souls), please rest assured that I DO have another business that is supporting my fledgling egg business. I do understand that in any new business the first couple of years are hard, etc., etc. I come from a long line of entrepreneurs.

Actually, I would have made money the first year had a hurricane not wrecked it, and my property. I lost 200 birds, and you cannot imagine the horror of spending hour upon hour upon hour of listening to the shingles being ripped off your roof, and the crashes of unknown stuff ripping apart, and then going out to see the devastation to your flock. Their housing was destroyed, and there were dead and dying bodies littered throughout the acreage.

We spend much of the first morning after the hurricane picking up the dead, and euthanising the dying birds.

Although I HAD carefully researched the business, and I knew it was a calculated risk, the customer base was there AT the price to make a profit. Alas, I foolishly failed to foresee a catastrophic disaster.

I'm slowly recovering from this, and am on track to make a success of my new business, with my other one to support it.

My egg prices are certainly in-line if not lower than the prevailing market. There are a lot of people here who are aware of the evils of factory farming, and are willing to pay the extra that it takes to make sure that they receive superior product from humanely raised birds.

Anyway - for you who give away your eggs - please let people know that your birds are raised humanely, and fed well - this is why their eggs taste so good, and discourage them from buying the cheapo eggs at the supermarket. At least - that way - I feel I'm improving animal welfare!

Peace to all,

Rachel

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Hi Rachel, I am so sorry for the loss of your flock. I never buy grocery store eggs, I raise my own chickens for eggs and supply them to the whole family and clients from my business. My birds are very well cared for and get to free range during the day. After seeing a few horrible videos of battery caged hens i will NEVER buy another grocery store egg again!!! It may not be for everyone but i think alot of people here prefer their own eggs to store bought. Sometimes i think my chickens eat better than i do but for the companionship and eggs they give me they deserve every bit of that gourmet salad, scrambled eggs, fruit and veggies, ect i give to them and then some. I have always been a huge animal lover and feel they should be treated like they are your own children, not everyone would agree but thats their choice [​IMG] I wish you the best of luck on your business ventures and hope all pans out well for you.

Sincerily,
    Rachel

3. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Just an FYI to make sure you know that you can request that a moderator close your other post. Just email them. I mention this because sometimes the first thread stays active long after the second one has disappeared down the list. Then folks have no way of knowing that you've softened your words as you've done here and just see that first post.

Just a thought.

Rusty

4. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    we love you. all is good. no worries. [​IMG]

5. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

Well, I've read your other post as well as every reply and now this one and I'm sorry for your loss to your flock - and it was very nice that you apologized as well - we're all animal lovers or we wouldnt be on here [​IMG]

I do have to say however that sometimes - one HAS to purchase from the grocery store - like when their hens stop laying during a molt or when they get older and just stop altogether. I have 6 birds and they are my pets - when they stop laying and I want eggs, I will have to resume going to the grocery store for them as no one around me has any they sell that arent fertile and I dont want to eat fertile eggs, its just a thing I have, since I have all hens and no rooster. When my girls stop laying altogether due to age I dont know what I"m going to do [​IMG] I wont kill them and I dont want more birds - then I'll end up with 100 birds running about and none laying [​IMG] when they run their course of production.
    So sometimes the choice isnt so easy as we'd like for it to be.

6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I think most people who get eggs from people that raise them in their backyards or a human farm know the difference.

You were very misleading in your other thread and never came back to try and correct it. Your loss was due to the huricane and not due to others undercutting you. I personally don't think very highly of the way you mislead us and the way you put those of us who have to go with the price in our area down. You, as a larger operation, may have more control over what you charge but, some of us are small and can only get what is the going rate in our area.

You state that you owe us an appology but, don't really give one that I can see.

I'm sorry for all you have been through and I hope you have learned from your experience so you can withstand anymore huricanes coming your way in the future.

7. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:I have packing peanuts that have to be the most friendly of any of my chickens. It is like they know what is coming and want to soften me up. It is not going to be easy doing the deed. I worked in a slaughter house when young and my job was mostly doing the deed, but that is a lot different when you get close to the animal.

I plan on raising silkies too and they need a lot of culling to be uniform, again a very loving bird that is going to be difficult. Maybe you could trade your birds for some chicks. Yes they will be processed but at least you do not have to do it.

8. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    I've read both posts.

*me about to be very unpopular

Sounds like you want everyone to jack their prices to force business your way. You made the leap financially now deal with it. No federal bail out here. I'll charge what the market will bare. If that's less than you, and it will be, Oh well.

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I'd prefer not to associate my eggs with Wal-Mart eggs...yet I still price my eggs around the same price as Wal-Mart eggs. I will continue to do so because it helps my neighbor's out. Why charge ridiculous prices that is "stealing" in my terms. Sure, my product is better, but I don't have USDA grading on mine either...

Good luck with your business.

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:So then, people giving away eggs or selling them cheaper than yours are NOT putting you out of business after all, just cutting into your potentially-larger profits?

Not, mind you, that I'm against anyone making a profit if the market is naturally sufficient produce one.

But under the circumstances here, hm.

Pat, who thinks it'd be better if everyone just raised their own eggs in the first place (everyone who can, that is, and gave the extras or sold them at-cost to those who can't).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by