Re-assembling a Little Giant 11lb metal feeder?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JulieAdams, Aug 13, 2011.

1. JulieAdams

JulieAdams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Oakland
    The thing came apart and I can't get it to hold together anymore. Any tips? I can't figure out what the trick is. There are two metal "wire locks" they call them, that criss-cross through the feeder tray and through the canister to hold it secure and hold the canister up an inch or above the feeder tray.

2. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Would a picture of a properly assembled one help? There are little clips that fit on the end of the wire rods. Do you have those?

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    It *can* be used without those flat metal stoppers on the protruding ends of the crossed wire supports, but there's a risk that one or both will slip out of place & spill the feed. You could contrive something to help keep the wires secured in place -- duct tape or bits of rubber or cork -- you can also contact Little Giant and ask them to send you out a fresh set of those stoppers. They sent some to me for free when a feeder I'd bought was missing them, don't know if there would be a charge to replace lost ones.

4. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:I had this problem with mine, it didnt have stoppers but worked fine when it was new. Soon it started to come apart easy, esspecially when it got low on feed.
    I ran a tiny cable tie through the hole with the wire and cinched it down tight around the wire. Then I clipped the ends so the girls would not peck at it.
    It has kept the wires from coming out so far.
    Also those pins have to be crossed right inside or they slip easier, they should be tight feeling if they are right.

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
  6. JulieAdams

Mar 19, 2010
    Oakland
    Thank you so much everyone! That is interesting news that the feeder should have had stoppers on it. We will try getting new ones, and/or try the suggested workarounds. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Miller mfg does not make LG products, they just sell them and they are one of the major distributors/Importers of them but they don't manufacture them. China is the Maker of anything LG including those dreaded stryo bators, So if you buy LG your buying made in China. Just for the record.

8. JulieAdams

Mar 19, 2010
    Oakland
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  9. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    If it were mine, I think I would take a pair of vise grip pliers and carefully bend the end of the rod at a ninety degree angle so it can't come out. I don't know that there will ever be any real need to take it back apart.

[​IMG]

10. JulieAdams

Mar 19, 2010
    Oakland
    Good idea! So far I can testify that office supply bulldog clips do not work at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by