Re: BO's Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beach livin', Dec 6, 2011.

1. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    How large is a typical BO egg? My first two were rather small, which I expected they would be. How long does it ake before I may start seeing larger eggs?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    In my experience, the pullet eggs were rather small but gradually gained in size over time. I couldn't really tell you how long it took, but it was a little while, as I recall.

3. C17

C17 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Blythewood
    My BO ave 1.90 ouces plus, today she gace me an egg that weigh 2.28 oz.....

4. murdeb

murdeb Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Sebastian, FL
    Mine just started laying a week ago and have noticed they are gradually getting a little larger, compared to the 1st egg.[​IMG]

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I'm getting the same thing. I ask the same question and was told I should have done some investigation before I got the BOs. I did and read all about what good layer they were. I still don't understand the small eggs. When the wife makes egg salad she uses 5 eggs. With those she uses 7 to get the same amount. They are three of the largest hens with the three smallest eggs. One of them is sitting on 5 of their eggs now. If they hatch, the chicks won't be taller than an inch judging by the eggs size.[​IMG]

6. emerald eyes

emerald eyes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2011
    My BO produce large eggs, I haven't weighed them but I don't notice any difference between the Delaware & the BO eggs. The eggs that were really small were ones that my RIR laid. BOs can get very broody even when not hatching chicks, I had to keep mine off the nest as they were trying to hatch unfertile eggs. It took about 3 weeks for her to figure out they weren't going to hatch, even though I was taking them each day.

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My BOs laid nice, big eggs. But I do remember how small their first eggs were. I was looking at these huge chickens like "what the....." they gain some size once they get into the swing of things!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by