RE: BR Limping & Lethargic - Now Lump On Head! Pics Added!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Reyvaughn, May 16, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    2-3wks ago I posted that my then 4wk old BR possible pullet was lethargic and limping. "She" was still eating, drinking and pooping, but not much of anything else. I noticed a few days ago that it looked like her feathers were ruffed on her head and she has some wing feathers sticking out weirdly. I just figured someone was messing with "her".

To day I catch her and check her because her head doesn't look like it's just the feathers ruffled today. Nope. I think "she" is a late blooming roo and he had a lump on his head - like a large knot, or tumor about the size of a grape. So. I think that may be what it is - a tumor. Could it possibly be Mareks? It's the only tumor on him, and he's holding weight nicely. I doubt they were vaccinated, but they are from a hatchery and all my others are from hatcheries as well. Next question is... Should I cull? I highly doubt he'll make it because the lump is obviously growing. But, then again, he's gotten more active, roosts, keeps his balance on a narrow board and, as I said, growing normally now.

I'll try to get pics tomorrow. I was in a hurry today and couldn't get any.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, is it a roo? S/he is 7wks old and just got the red to his/her comb in the last few days. The others were showing red wattles at 3wks and where clearly boys at 4wks. This one is also the darkest of the bunch - the 2nd pic shows it's color better.

3. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Anyone?

4. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    Sorry I can't help, but I am bumping it back up for you.

5. fifenashia

fifenashia Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Eastern Kentucky
    I wish I knew too, I'll bump it too. Keeping watch to see what someone says. There have been other posts with similar looking bumps. Might try to locate those while we wait for a response.

6. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the bumps!

I looked at a few posts and most of them were from rough roosters or hard pecking. This one isn't getting picked on and and being so young and no roosters in the shed w/ them, it's not a rooster getting rough. I'll be honest, I didn't check a lot of the posts out, I've seriously been to busy with everything else in my life that a few minutes spared on the computer is a commodity now days.

I am going to assume this one is going to be culled, especially if it's a roo. I'm not sure it'll make it to the freezer, though. I'm not to sure what that lump means as far as food safety at this point. I do highly doubt it's Mareks at this point. All my others are healthy and there are no other tumors on this bird. If the lump keeps growing, it'll be culled anyways. It can't be good for the poor thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by