? Re: Breeding Marans - colors / genetics (Birchen, Blue, Black Tail)

ArizonaDesertChicks

Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs
15 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Glendale, AZ
There is a local seller near me that is selling the following 3 rare chickens. They are thinking that breeding the following rooster with these 2 hens will produce some purebred offspring, but I am thinking the resulting chicks will be mixed Marans and no longer breed true.

1 Birchen Marans Rooster

1 Black Tail Buff Marans Hen
1 Blue Marans Hen

Can anyone tell me whether or not these 3 chickens can produce 'purebred' Marans, and if so, which colors?

I am not a genetics expert, but have a small grasp on it.....if the Blue hen is truly blue and not blue copper (which often is the case....solid blue and black Marans are very very hard to find) most times Blue Marans can be mistaken for solid blue because they do not show any copper in the hackles, same with Black. Anyway....if the blue hen was a pure solid blue hen (based on the silver gene) then she could be bred to the Birchen rooster to produce some Birchen offspring. I have no clue about the Black Tail Buff....I believe they are based on the Wheaten and I don't have any idea of what the Birchen crossed with her would create.
If you were to cruise by the Marans thread and pose this question to the some of the experts there (like VillageChicken) you are sure to get an answer that will help you out.

Hope this helps!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom