Re-broody??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Jul 27, 2011.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    She went broody on July 4th.

So, I marked her eggs. But, within the week everybody laid eggs on her head! At the end of the week I went through the eggs and took some out, leaving her with ten eggs.

So even assuming that the newest egg could have been from late in the week - they should have hatched - yes??

Ten eggs and NONE of them hatched?

So I could just take them and break her broody.

OR

Can I gather another ten eggs and start her over?

Could it have gotten just too hot during that last hot spell?

[​IMG]

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I have had one broody for about 6 weeks. I guess it just depends on if she looks like she still wants to sit there.

3. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Quote:One broody, same eggs with no hatch?

Or just one stubborn broody?

Sp, can I start her over? I am thinking about giving in and buying her some chicks!

4. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    She hatched 2 eggs that I got from a friend. I took the babies away and brooded them myself, because I did not have her seperated from the
    other hens. So she just kept sitting. I never gave her more eggs. I think she is over it now.

5. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    mine has just gone broody now first time for me. sheis a buff orpington called wilma. this sounds stupid but how is she supposed to sit on them at the moment i think shehas themto the back end of her and onerolled out over night ive put it back just incase otherwise it must be a dudshe threw out .

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:Not sure what the question is. They do seem to have them more to the back of themselves and since she's new, she probably doesn't know a dud, she just accidentally pushed that egg out.

7. chickchicks

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    thank you ,
    yes sorry I was not clear i confused my self that much i ramble !!!

I have put the egg back under her to look after and she seems to have took to it again now. IS IT 21 DAYS FOR HATCHING? - I am not sure what the eggs are from the farm for certain but by colour of shell I would guess they are wellsummer and red rock (?)chicken eggs if that makes a difference ontime.

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm not exactly sure how you handled it. It sounds like you let the eggs build up for a while until you finally removed some. I don't know how many built up and if she were able to cover them all. If she can't cover them all, then a developing egg can be shoved out, cool off, and die, even in the hot weather, especially at night. Then it gets shoved back under her and another egg gets shoved out and dies. You usually do not get good hatches when they have more eggs than they can cover. I check and remove extras every day.

I'm assuming you have a rooster and know that the eggs are usually fertile. Sometimes you have to mention the obvious.

You can get some more eggs and start her over. She might keep going until they hatch. Broodies do not wear wrist watches. They do not know when the 21 days is up. At some point she might break, but then again, she might not. I would not use real valuable eggs if I tried again. Or you can break her. I favor the wire bottomed cage method for that.

I doubt if the heat was the problem. My last broody spent more time off the nest that one that broods in cool weather does. This one also spent a lot of her time on the nest standing up, sort of airing out the eggs. A good broody can handle different conditions, but maybe not all broodies are good.

Sometimes a broody rejects a dud egg. Sometimes a good egg gets accidentally kicked out, especially if the lip on the nest is not very high or another hen lays in the nest. A hen often scratches a lot before she lays to get the nest just right. Until I raised the lip on my nests to about 5 inches, I'd find fake eggs and good eggs that were scratched out of the nest and laying in the ground. This was not because of a broody. I didn't have any at the time. Just because an egg is on the floor does not automatically make it a dud. Sniff it. If it smells OK, put it back, but put a mark on it. It could have just been an accident. But if it winds up on the floor again, toss it.

9. chickchicks

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    thank you . your very helpfull .

no no rooster just two girls, the eggs are fertille i hope i got them from a farm near by - the eggs were laid yeasterday and i put themstraight under her when igot them home.

the one that is out is different from the rest in colour but i dont think that should make a difference.

there is just three eggs ( that is what was available) I did not want too many incase she could not handle it.

the other girl has stopped laying as wilma is quite nasty on protecting her nest. I have tried new new nests for betty but she isnt having them so no eggs forme at the moment [​IMG]((

thank you for all the help so far !!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by