1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

re: chick with pus filled eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bellecreek, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Bellecreek

Bellecreek New Egg

Nov 12, 2008
    I have a 10 week old chick that is very ill, and would appreciate any insights for diagnosis/treatment.

She is now away from the flock, just in case it's contagious.

I noticed yesterday that this chick (a Black Sex-Link) was off by herself, and one of her eyes was "glued" shut, but the other was open. She was hiding away by herself, huddled and dejected.

Today, both eyes are closed. Both are very swollen, but one is much, much worse than the other.

She's not coughing, sneezing, and I cannot hear breathing difficulty. There's no discharge from her nose, only pus-filled eyes. I took a sniff of her, and think I can smell the pus, but there's no frank awful smell. I have a VERY good sense of smell.

When I open her beak, her mouth appears healthy.

I haven't seen her poop - so I don't know about that.

There have been no changes with food, and I keep the water clean.

All the other birds (and I have lots and lots) at the moment, appear fine.

Rightly or wrongly, I've ruled out Infectious Coryza, Fowl Cholera, Infectious Bronchitis, Infectious Bronchitis, and Fowl Pox. The symptoms don't fit.

I've put human eye drops in her eyes (Sulfacetamide Sodium) to help cut through some of the "crud", and I gave her some oxytetracycline. However, I don't want to give a tiny bird like this an injection (nor do I know the dose, or even if that antibiotic is safe), and I couldn't keep her head still enough to give it to her by mouth. Therefore, I put it on her skin. This I know, is probably totally ineffective.

Throughout this, she was peeping with distress. As I don't think she has a chance of surviving, I didn't want to put her through any undue further suffering.

I cannot get her to eat or drink. I put her beak in water - but nothing doing. I'll probably have my husband euthanize her when he comes home from work.

I'm so worried that this will be something awful that will wipe out my flock.

Ideas?

Many thanks for sharing any insights.

2. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Well, some antibiotics may help if you can get them down her. Will she eat any treat like food? Yogurt? Maybe you can sneak antibiotics in that. You have to be careful not to suffocate her while giving water via dropper but it sounds like you know how to do it.
    Keep us posed.

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG] I don't know what to tell you, but pus filled eyes sounds like some of the other posters here who have had problems with CRD....I might be confusing the symptoms with something else...Maybe it's foamy eyes....Anyways, can u post a pic????

4. Bellecreek

Bellecreek New Egg

Nov 12, 2008
    I don't have the ability to post a picture.

Imagine the sight of a typically sick bird - isolated from the rest of the flock.

Standing hunched with head down and feathers ruffled. Depressed, lethargic.

As she's a baby pullet - her comb and wattles are not developed yet, so I cannot tell if they're abnormal.

Only the eyes are swollen. Looks like massive infection.

Underneath and above - normal.

Inside mouth/throat - pink - no "icky" stuff noted.

WILL NOT eat or drink. No poop due to the former.
    Body feel - dehydrated/emaciated.

At the moment, she's asleep standing up with her head under one wing with "relatively" good eye up. I think she looks better after I gave her the eye drops, but this is probably just wishful thinking.

Water/food untouched.

I don't know how long she's been sick - I've been out of town since early Thursday morning, and returned late Monday. I noticed she was sick EITHER that Monday evening, OR Tuesday morning.

5. Bellecreek

Bellecreek New Egg

Nov 12, 2008
    Does CRD ever occur without coughing/sneezing/rales/ etc?

Could it be that as I was out of town for the intital symptoms that this is the final result I'm seeing prior to death?"

6. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Hmmm, that doesn't sound good....I would suggest to give her poly-vis-il (baby vitamins), a few drops in the side of her beak, and electrolytes. It's possible one of the other chickens may have pecked her right there and she developed an infection. I know the vitamins and electrolytes are a standard protocol when dealing with a sick/dehydrated chicken, but I'm hoping someone else will be able to give some more advice. You may try PM'ing dlhunicorn (just search for her in the user search function) cause she's the reigning queen on how to deal with illness....Good luck!!! So sorry I can't help more!!!

I don't know what the exact symptoms are, other than foamy eyes....You might want to search the boards for CRD and see if anyone has posted the symptoms...I'll give it a go, too, and post if I find anything!!!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by