1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RE: Christmas Miracle???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chanty, Dec 27, 2011.

1. chanty

chanty Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    I went away for 2 days during Christmas leaving my chicksters well cared for of course! I have two of 5 that lay an egg a day but when I came back after 2 days there were 6 eggs instead of 4, but when I went out by 8:00 the third day I was back to two instead of the 3 I was expecting. Now, either the 3rd chicken is laying later in the day OR my two layer girls pumped out an extra each. I think the latter is impossible though. I'll check throughout the day to see if the 3rd one comes through. Anyway, I was happy to have so many eggs and I know that when a chicken's gotta lay she's gotta lay, so it WILL happen. I am surprised though that they would start in the winter. We have snow and cold here up north.

2. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Probably a 3rd girl is starting to lay. What a great Christmas present!

3. Ole and Lena

Ole and Lena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    Our chix haven't heard that they're not supposed to lay in the cold. They've been going strong since late Nov.

4. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I think i have two that started over the last two days. A new egg on Christmas was a very nice present.

5. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    It's the greatest gift of all.....for a chicken enthusiast that is. [​IMG] I got my first one on Christmas eve. CONGRATS [​IMG]

6. chanty

chanty Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    I KNOW!!! They can and will lay in the cold who knew! There is a 3rd girl laying but she is inconsistent. I am just happy that she finally started to lay even if it is not every day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by