Re-Cooping (see what I done there...lol)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kristilane, Dec 2, 2014.

1. kristilane

kristilane New Egg

Dec 2, 2014
    We had a nice coop, it worked for us. Husband decided he wanted the chicks to free range, I told him this was a bad idea considering where we live the chicks would not come back to the coop. Surprise....I was right!!! Over about a week of time, every chick we had was never seen again. So I am Re-Cooping!!! They will be coop chicks and not free ranged. We live on the back side of a 50 acre peanut field surrounded by swamps and dirt roads. Heres my question....we have temperature ranges from 110+ in the summer to freezing and below in the winter sometimes, what is the best breed to have for those ranges of temps? Where do I find these beauties? What's the best feed for them? I'd love to be able to grow their food rather than buying pellets. Just looking for ideas :) Thanks!

2. CHICKLOVER69

CHICKLOVER69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I ordered mine from meyerhatchery.com . Very happy. I live in close to the same conditions. You can read aboud hardy breads here in the forum. Type hardy breeds in the search bar. I ordered 8 pullets and they sent 9. All were pullets, no roosters. I got Barred Rock, Rhode Island Reds, Black Australorps, and Light Brown Leghorns. Mine started laying today at 18 weeks. Had 5 eggs in the nest box. Dont know which ones , but i finally got eggs. As far as feed, I just go to the feed store and tell them i want chicken feed. They will give you what you need based on their age. I wish i could free range. I have an acre back yard, but also have dogs and dont want to have to worry about hawks and coons. So, i made a coop and fenced run with hardware cloth. I think it is snake proof. fingers crossed

1 person likes this.
  3. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    Are you just after eggs, or do you want a meat bird, or do you want a dual purpose bird? Your chicks didn't forget to come home, you were feeding some predator. Hawks, owls, fox, dogs, etc.. Your temps are not anything to worry about as long as your chickens have access to shade, shelter, and fresh water.

1 person likes this.
  4. kristilane

kristilane New Egg

Dec 2, 2014
    Eggs only. It would be ideal to have a swap of some kind to trade a meat chick for new egg layers with another homesteader but I don't know of anyone anywhere near me :( I agree, we feed some predator also :(

5. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    For dual purpose, I suggest Barred Rock. But I like a colorful flock and eggs, so my flock is always mixed.

Did you free range chicks, as in babies?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  6. RWD

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    For sustainable dual purpose, I suggest Bielefelders. They are docile, pretty, lay up to 230 eggs per year, and the roos are huge.

1 person likes this.
  7. kristilane

kristilane New Egg

Dec 2, 2014
    Not chicks as in babies but chicks as in female chickens...sorry for that confusion

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Female chickens are called Pullets if under one year old and Hens if over one year old. :D

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. mossyroo

mossyroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Mossy Head, FL
    Quote:I think I'd start calling them hens as soon as they started laying.

10. RWD

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by