Re-designing a 2x8 Coop

serdman

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 6, 2017
There is already a coop in our backyard, we have been using it as storage since we moved in, but have decided to start our first flock this spring. Yea! I need help redesigning it as I am new to BYC and it is a weird size that seems unique. I hope to fit six chickens in this coop with an attached 10x10 enclosed run. The doors on the coop will be redone as they are bowed. We live in NW Arkansas.

My coop is essentially 8x2 and has 4 pre-existing shelves on both sides that I am assuming they are original to the coop as they have holes drilled in them [for what purpose I do not know]. I has two full sized door in the middle with a center post. We built a new shed beside it that is 8x12, We will create the run between the shed and the coop. I have attached pictures an a drawing of dimensions below.

Questions:

1- How would you re-do the doors? Make one that you open fully during the day or make a small pulley door inside one of the big ones? Or make one door with a portion at the bottom that you open?
2- Where would you put the nesting boxes? Use one side for the nests and do two stacking -- maybe the side with the 13 inch shelves? Add external nesting boxes to the outside?
3- Roosts - do a ladder roost on one side? If so, how many roosts? One that runs most of the length [if so, can they enter it from the end since there is not enough space to jump down in front? Poop boards? This one really has me stumped.
4 - What purpose would the higher shelves have? Any ideas on how to use them or take them out?

Any other advise? I haven't really found any pictures a coop that is so narrow to help me. Thanks for any advice!!

Pre-shed - you can see the space for the run - it will go from the corner of each shed and back to the fences. Planning to put a roof on the space between the back fence and the shed and then hardware cloth the top over the portion by the shed.

Post-shed - we are going to paint them both to match! :)

Last edited:
Where are you (climate will dictate how to adapt it) plus take some pictures so we can visualize the coop in the back yard.
If I was set on using it, I would remove the doors and add on the front. Remove the shelves and use one side for storage and the other side for nesting boxes. I would add a window.

Welcome to BYC!

2 feet wide is going to be hard for chickens, that's about their wing span...I wouldn't use it for chickens.

A ladder roost might work on one end, put it on hinges so you can lift and clean under it.
Put a couple nests with sharply angled tops and perches in front on other end, bottom of nests about 18 inches off ground.
Take all higher shelves out, or put doors on them and store chicken supplies within.
They will want to get on anything high, so make it so they can't land on anything up there, flying back down could cause injury.

Where to put feed/water tho.....hmmm....that takes up some space too.
If your run has a good solid roof, that would be good for shade and weatherproof place for feed.

That larger shed tho, that would be a great chicken coop!

Welcome to BYC!

2 feet wide is going to be hard for chickens, that's about their wing span...I wouldn't use it for chickens.

A ladder roost might work on one end, put it on hinges so you can lift and clean under it.
Put a couple nests with sharply angled tops and perches in front on other end, bottom of nests about 18 inches off ground.
Take all higher shelves out, or put doors on them and store chicken supplies within.
They will want to get on anything high, so make it so they can't land on anything up there, flying back down could cause injury.

Where to put feed/water tho.....hmmm....that takes up some space too.
If your run has a good solid roof, that would be good for shade and weatherproof place for feed.

That larger shed tho, that would be a great chicken coop!
^^^^^ Yes the larger shed would be better.....

Gary

Must. Finish. Coop.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, that one is already spoken for with bikes, mowers, gardening bench, etc! I wish!! But I can use it for chicken supplies. I plan to dry in 1/2 the run, so food and water can go out there. So the coop will really just be the roost and nesting boxes.

What if I took the left side from the wall to the middle post and made a higher criss-cross roost with "steps" to get up there and then a poop board below that I could remove? Then, the nesting boxes on the left side [in an external box if needed]? I don't know chicken jumping ability to gauge how high they can get up.

I can add on if needed, but would prefer to do minimal major changes!

Like this idea I found:

Last edited:
Look at hoop coops. You could use the little shed as the back wall. Still have to take off the doors. It would be a coop/run all in one. The people door would be tricky. I think it will be better to not try and use it. Use it for something else or tear it down.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom