Re: Hmm...got the wrong chickens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JustAChickenLittle&More, Nov 25, 2010.

1. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Hi All;

I just joined this morning on Thanksgiving, so first let me wish everyone a Very Happy Safe Thanksgiving. I order a LOT of eggs from some different breeders. Some are starting to hatch today. The ones that are hatching are supposed to be "blue" silkies. So far I have had two hatch and I have some pips on a few of the others. The two that have hatched; 1 looks like a grey (MAYBE) or Lavender, the other looks like two colors; buff and red maybe?

My Question: What color are blue silkies when they are born? Thanks so much!

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Your ones that look gray, could turn out to be blue, but are probably splash, which is one of the colors you get when breeding blue. What color were the parents? You can do a search for how b/b/s works (I can never remember to get it right). If the parents weren't one black and one splash, you aren't guaranteed blue chicks.

As for the ones that look buff or red, there is no way you can get those colors from breeding b/b/s. I would email the sellers and tell them what you have and ask if there could have been a mix up.

3. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] Silkies are beautiful birds no matter what color! [​IMG]

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Here is how the "blue" color tends to breed:

Blue x Blue = 50% blue 25% Black 25% Splash

Blue x Black = 50% Blue 50% Black

Black x Splash= 100% Blue

Splash x Splash= 100% Splash

Black x Black = 100% Black

Blue x Splash = 50% Blue 50% Splash

5. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Quote:That's it! I know how it works, but can never remember the percentages off the top of my head.

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I cheated - I have it pasted in a document [​IMG] I am always fuzzy on the % too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by