1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

re-home to the outside(N.C)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by farmgal84, Jan 23, 2014.

1. farmgal84

farmgal84 New Egg

Jan 23, 2014
    North Carolina
    Oh when oh when can these chicks go out side?

I have a 250 watt heat light and would like to know if I put them out side closed up can they be out side at age 4 1/2 to 5 weeks old.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I have never had chicks inside longer than 4 weeks and that includes some I hatched in January 3 years ago - and I live in a colder climate than you. I would say at this age, they should be fine, as long as they are given a little time to acclimatize from the warmth of the house to the outside.

I usually transition over several days. Looking at the weather forecast, I'll pick a period where temps are mild for the time of year for at least a few days stretch. The first day, I'll take them outside at the warmest part of the day and let them stay there until it starts to cool. The next day they go out a little earlier and stay out a little longer. Next day the same. By the 3-5th day, depending on temperatures, instead of bringing them back in the house, I'll gather them up and carry them to the coop at the end of the day. There they stay in a small chick area of the coop. Next morning they return to their chick run for the day - and are considered fully transitioned, never returning to the house again.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    And be careful about how closed up your brooder is. They can still over heat, and they need ventilation to prevent moisture build up (which comes from their droppings and from the chickens themselves).
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by