Re-homing Two Senior Silkie Hens in MA

AkuButters

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2018
Hello BYC,
We need to re-home two, nine year old, silkie hens as they are the last two from our original flock we started in 2009. We moved to central Massachusetts in 2016 to a location that does not allow back yard chickens so they have been our indoor pet birds.

My work position is requiring more and more travel every year. (My husband travels with me) So long as we are back in 3 days, they have been ok on their own but we don't feel good about it nor are we always able to make it back in less time. We've hired pet sitters but I know our ladies aren't getting the socialization they need. We also worry about when one of them passes away. We hate the thought of one of them being alone when we have to travel. We know they would probably be living a happier life with someone who can always be with them and care for them as we have. It would be irresponsible of me not to disclose the following to you:

Aku (black) has reoccurring minor respiratory issue. I had to give Aku antibiotics in 11/2016 because she was sneezing a lot and had build up in one nostril (about six months after we moved to the new house). The antibiotic worked and she recovered quickly. Every now and then her sneezes start back up (maybe once a year) and the build up comes back so I clean out her nostril but I haven't needed to give her antibiotics since. Aku is twice as heavy as Butterball (buff) and Butterball has never shown any symptoms.

If you know someone who is willing to care for these two ladies, please let us know. Thank you.

Attachments

• P1040289.JPG
    P1040289.JPG
    312.6 KB · Views: 15
  • P1040329.JPG
    P1040329.JPG
    287.7 KB · Views: 11
  • P1040303.JPG
    P1040303.JPG
    270.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Aku (black) has reoccurring minor respiratory issue.

You should not re home these birds in my opinion, it is very likely they are carriers of something even though the other is not showing symptoms they could very likely infect another flock. Also I wonder how two 9 year olds will fare in a new flock?

Gary

Aku (black) has reoccurring minor respiratory issue.

You should not re home these birds in my opinion, it is very likely they are carriers of something even though the other is not showing symptoms they could very likely infect another flock. Also I wonder how two 9 year olds will fare in a new flock?

Gary
That would be the only thing I’m concerned about. Definitely would be getting vet checks before coming near my flock.

And my flock is just young pullets; they’d be just fine.

That would be the only thing I’m concerned about. Definitely would be getting vet checks before coming near my flock.

And my flock is just young pullets; they’d be just fine.

Pullets can and will become carriers of some very nasty stuff. You would be taking a huge risk taking these birds.

I have read so many heartbreaking stories that all started out with something like this, I decided to add a couple of hens/pullets whatever and now my flock is sneazing....

good luck

Gary

Pullets can and will become carriers of some very nasty stuff. You would be taking a huge risk taking these birds.

I have read so many heartbreaking stories that all started out with something like this, I decided to add a couple of hens/pullets whatever and now my flock is sneazing....

good luck

Gary
That’s very true, I didn’t really think about it like that. Probably good words of advice.

I understand the concern people have with our girls potentially infecting another flock but these girls need to be rehomed. I posted to BYC in hopes of finding an individual who can take care of our girls as we have. I believe there are good people who already care for elderly and sick hens. I believe there is someone looking to enjoy the company of these unique ladies who has a yard where they can be happier doing what chickens do.

I've edited my original post to remove the mention of "probably be living a happier life with another bantam flock" to be more clear with our sensitive situation.

I understand the concern people have with our girls potentially infecting another flock but these girls need to be rehomed. I posted to BYC in hopes of finding an individual who can take care of our girls as we have. I believe there are good people who already care for elderly and sick hens. I believe there is someone looking to enjoy the company of these unique ladies who has a yard where they can be happier doing what chickens do.

I've edited my original post to remove the mention of "probably be living a happier life with another bantam flock" to be more clear with our sensitive situation.
It unfortunately is too much of a risk for someone who already owns birds. I really would’ve loved to welcome your birds into my home, but I just didn’t think that maybe they are carriers of something. Elderly chickens would be welcome at my home, but sick chickens unfortunately can’t.

Back
Top Bottom