Re: Horse in the process of foaling.........

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickNLittle, May 4, 2008.

1. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Hi

My horse has been in labor all day long. She was fine this morning and then she went to lay down and hasn't gotten up. I have been checking her all afternoon. I can see the sack and part of the baby in the birth canal. Do I need to do something? How long of a labor is too long when it comes to horses. Thanks

2. norcalchickengirl

norcalchickengirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    If it were my horse, I would call the VET! ASAP!

3. ArcticFox

ArcticFox Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    How is your mare doing? horses normally get up and down during labor pains. I had a horse foal standing up once. If your horse cannot get up, something is wrong. Please call your vet right away.

Also check to see if you can what body part is coming first. You should see the foals front feet. If not the foal is breached and will need assistance in foaling right away.

Please update as soon as you can

4. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Have you checked in with your vet? Even in a normal pregnancy and delivery you want to keep your vet informed of progress...

5. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    This sounds NOT good. I have foaled horses for the last 20 years and something is definitely not right. Normal delivery should make continual progress but anything over about 30 minutes and I start going through my mental checklist of things to check for. The colt I had born last year had both front legs over his head, had we not been there we would have likely lost the colt and probably the mare.
    I hope you got the vet right away and all is well.

6. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    how is the mare hope everything is ok [​IMG]

7. ArcticFox

ArcticFox Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Just checking in to see how your mare is doing. I sincerely hope all is well. Please let us know when you can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by