RE: I'm devastated????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ginbart, Apr 18, 2008.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I just read "I'm devastated". I’m so sorry for you and now I am worried. I am using a shed we have and the run I was making is made out of plastic. It said it was for chickens and rabbits. Do you think it will be OK???? We have racoons here also. [​IMG].

2. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

I use metal on our runs. First, I bury a hog panel 1 foot deep to prevent digging under the fenc, then I have Chicken wire from teh ground up to the top of the run. I have the run covered with poultry netting. I have not had a raccoon attack yet.

Jim

3. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    I don't know if you want my opinion [​IMG] I was thinking of using that stuff...but not as the outside....I wouldn't use anythign but wire for the outside...I was thinking of using it to seperate my breeds...as in like making 'stalls' if you will w/in the wire for my chickens....does that make sense? I think you need wire to protect from predators....but I also have a HUGE shrimp net over the top of my whole 20x10 pen to stop anything from coming in too....HTH

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    [​IMG] Of course I want your opinion. Since I have the sides done but not together yet I will dig a hole and place it in there and add wire around the bottom. About 3 feet high. How about that? Could I use the plastic for the top? [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmm...I'm starting to think I should put hardware cloth underneath the floor of mine just to prevent digging and then getting through the OSB. Worth thinking about perhaps. Rats are prevalent in our area.

6. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Does anyone ever use electrified fence wire to keep the predators out? Coons my be too smart for it but I was wondering if it worked on smaller animals.

Our biggest issue here (believe it or not) is Kodiak Brown Bears. The electric wire works for them. But after reading all these posts I'm getting worried about land otters (we live near a lake) and weasels. We also have fox.

Any advice is appreciated!

7. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Ginger, i would really use wire or the panel thing on the ground and on the sides. I talked to a salesman at a local store and he said not to use the plastic as the enemies will chew right thru it so i got chicken wire for the whole enclosure i am putting it on the ground and running it up the sides, the top will be covered too. Hope this helps and good luck.[​IMG][​IMG]:weee:ya

8. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    kodiak the man told me weasels are bad news for chickens so maybe you want to think anout wire too. hope this helps you [​IMG][​IMG]:weee:ya

9. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Wire meaning woven chicken wire? I'm wondering how small a diameter the holes will have to be to keep the weasels out. Our "weasels" are actually martin/ermine, which are quite a bit smaller than a standard weasel.

10. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    This is what I would suggest to everyone that has a serious predator potential. Kodiak, you might even want to put 2 layers. This is welded hardwire. Chicken wire or also know as chicken netting is to weak. Kinda like a butterfly net, you snage it on a stick and it will tear. A racoon, dog, or bear will tear it right apart. Hot wire around the bottom and the top will also discourage predators. You will also want to look to see what trees are around your coop. Even if they are not actually in it but overhang it will give them an oppertunity to get in. You might not want to spend the money now you will eventually if you have to keep buying chickens to replace the ones that have been eaten. Good luck, Jenn

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp..._____14345|14359|14375|36199?listingPage=true

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by