Re integrating chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brian5161986, Jan 30, 2017.

1. brian5161986

brian5161986 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2014
    South West Michigan
    I have a chicken that had the feathers picked out of her head. So I took her out of the coop and put her in a dog kennel until healed and now she is ready to be re intergrated with the other chickens so I put her in a smaller dog cage within the run area. My question is what should I do with her at night time. The run is wired and protected so nothing will be able to get her inside the run. But should I put her in the coop on the roost bar at night or just leave her in the dog kennel. My intial plan was to leave her in the dog kennel within the coop for about 3 days to get the other chickens used to her again. Any suggestion are welcomed thanks

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    I would try putting her on the roost at night(Just make sure its dark in there).I like to do play dates which basically means introducing one hen at a time with her.You can let her out with them and throw down a whole bunch of BOSS to keep the entertained.Now you said she was getting picked on?Pecking can occur when there is a lack of nutrition or when there is a lack of space.In your case im thinking lack of space.You can Hang a cabbage or throw some BOSS in there bedding or buy a pecking block.Good Luck!

3. brian5161986

brian5161986 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2014
    South West Michigan
    Thanks for the info I will give all that a shot. What is this boss you talk of throwing down in the bedding?

4. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    BOSS=Bird Seed

5. Talithahorse

Talithahorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Hartselle, Al
    She will probably be fine if you reintroduce her at night but you could always put her in at night and then just put her back in her little holding pen during the day.

MasterofClucker- I like your avatar. Is that your grey?

6. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Thanks! Sadly no.[​IMG]

7. Talithahorse

Talithahorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Hartselle, Al
    I have a grey that's why I ask. He is a great bird. I have had him for over 30 years.

8. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    [​IMG].I plan on getting some pretty soon.Maybe a Sulfur crested cockatoo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by