Re-integrating hen with chicks into the flock- when and how?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kayri, May 31, 2008.

1. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    In my brother -in-law's flock of 5 hens and 2 roosters (I know, too many roosters), one of the hens was broody and hatched out 6 baby chicks a week ago. The chicks and mama have been separate from his flock since them and last night he moved them to my house where I have a separate outdoor area for them.

How long should the chicks and mama be separated from the rest of the flock and will there be problems re-introducing them?

Thanks

2. gardener

gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Willamette Valley
    If the mother hen is at the top of the pecking order it might be ok to mix them back into the flock. I would be most concerned about the roosters though. I put a mother hen and her almost 2 week old chicks with 2 other hens and I havent seen the chicks get picked on. I have one hen that picks on the mother hen sometimes but she doesnt bother the chicks, maybe that is her way of showing the chicks whose at the top of the order by picking on their mother.

Give the chicks a place to hide and get away if they need to like a wire mesh area that is big enough for them to run through but not an adult chicken. You can also put food and water in there so the adult birds wont be able to eat all their chick starter.

3. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    Thanks, I'll suggest it to him. Kay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by