Re-integrating post broody hen.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lynnemabry, May 20, 2016.

1. lynnemabry

lynnemabry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Beautiful Lake County
    I have had to segregate a hen to a corner of my duck pen since some hen cannibalized one of the pekin duck eggs she is sitting on.
    Hatch day is tomorrow and life if crazy in the duck pen too. She is in a fenced off area with a pair of eight week old ducks that are being terrorized by the grown ups. Better divider go in today.
    In a couple weeks after the ducks will be sitting on her instead of under her. How will her integration be back to the chicken pen?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You might have to pen her in the chicken pen for a week or two, or even longer, until she's left alone and accepted back. It's possible they won't even notice she was gone, or there could be fighting. It depends on your flock dynamics, and her position within the flock. So try putting her back, and go from there to determine whether she needs a separate pen for a while. Many things in the chicken pecking order often can be worked out through a fence.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    you might pull a bird, introduce them to the broody one on one, they won't like each other, but will get over it. Then introduce the pair back to the flock. A single bird going back in to a flock, everyone else in the flock KNOWS she is a stranger, and are afraid of losing their spot. They all will peck her. Two birds spreads the pecking out a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by