Re introduced broody being picked on

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Spring Chook, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Spring Chook

Spring Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Topanga
    Yesterday I re introduced my broody bantam mama to the rest of the flock. She haid laid 3 eggs and seemed bored of her babies. I have left her 3 marans chicks in a separate pen. Although one of only two bantams in my small flock, the Broody Mama was top of the pecking order. She was the boss and I named her Bert for that reason. But since being introduced she is be picked on by even the most docile of chickens. She only seems to have maintained the upper hand with the other bantam. One of my Black Copper Marans is being particularly nasty to Bert, jumping on her full force. I'm letting them all free range for now, and poor Bert is just going off on her own.

On the positive side, she doesnt seem to be missing her chicks and laid and egg today.

My question is, has Bert lost her standing in the flock for good, and when will they stop hassling her?

2. Spring Chook

Dec 29, 2009
    Topanga
    bump ....

3. luvmycritters42

luvmycritters42 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2009
    Western WA
    I had the same thing happen with my bantam Cochin....... everyone else picked on her when I put her back with the rest. That was about 6 weeks ago and she now is basically a loner when they are out free ranging. I feel bad for her.

4. Spring Chook

Dec 29, 2009
    Topanga
    Thats so sad. I hope the same doesnt happen to mine. She's a Mille Fleurie. What makes it worse is that she was top dog. One of my Black Copper Marans is huge and she really lays into her. Poor thing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by