Re-introducing a chicken to old flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by new chick 203, Dec 31, 2010.

1. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    I've had a very harmonious flock with out allot of bother. My #2 girl has been un-well and in the house for a week. She has gained a little weight and was on track to getting better so we thought that she could go out to play with her sisters. Boy, was I wrong. With-in a minute, there was a fracas and I had to scoop her up and bring her in. It's only been a week! Do I have a house chicken now!?[​IMG]

2. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

No

3. new chick 203

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    Quote:Would you like to elaborate? How do I prevent more blood shed?

4. TNBarnQueen

TNBarnQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    East Tennessee
    I have a hen who had been picked on...her head was featherless and had a few abrasions. I put her up for a couple weeks to mend. I put her back in last night and when I went out this morning all I could do was cry. Her back was completely bare and raw...really raw. I feel so guilty. I took her out immediately, cleaned her up and treated her. She will not go back to the flock. I am going to get a couple young chicks that are big enough to be with her and let them grow up and stay with her. Wish I knew which chicken did it....would be in the pot really quick. I know they have a pecking order but REALLY!!
    So....be very careful returning your chick to the flock. If you can put her in a small cage inside your run for a couple weeks. This lets the others get use to her being around. I do that with new chickens and it works great. I should have done that but did not even think with her being away such a short time it would be necessary. Good luck!

5. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    This may seem harsh to some but I would just throw her in and let them fight it out. Its just going to take a bit for them to reestablish their original pecking order. I would just keep an eye on things to make sure that things are not getting too out of hand. Chances are she will just hide and things will calm down rather quickly....You could also try distracting them with a really good treat that they do not get that often when you return her......I have introduced young chickens from my grow out pen into the layer flock numerous times without any serious injuries....good luck whatever you decide to do!

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:Would you like to elaborate? How do I prevent more blood shed?

Put her in the coop at night and put her with the others. Has worked for me.

7. new chick 203

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    I just don't have it in me to do the "let them work it out thing". She's a Bantam Cochin and less that 1.5 Lbs and use to have the #2 position in the flock. The #1 chicken is about 6 Lbs. When Tried before there was blood shed in less than a minute. These two use to be buddies. Yesterday I let her free range with her sister outside the run in full sight of the others and I'll try that again, but I'm not sure when I'll let them all together. It was awful.

8. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    What I do is have two different 'cages' that fit inside the run. I use either one, depending on how many I am integrating. I put the 'new' chicken in the cage, in the run for sometimes up to 2 weeks before fully integrating - she will have her own food and water and enough room that she can be somewhere in the cage at peace. And then it is done in stages. I will let the 'new' girl out for say a few minutes at first and then day to day increase the time. At night, she will go back inside the house until she is fully integrated. There will still be pecking, it is natural. But it is less stressful on the one who was sick.

As far the the old flock is concerned she is a new chicken.

Usually within a few weeks she is fully integrated in.

9. new chick 203

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    Quote:Thanks. That's what I'll do. it's just hard with the cold weather and all.

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I never remove a chicken from the coop, for this reason. I have a broody coop inside the coop, for that reason -- you could do it with a dog crate -- to me it's worth it to have some kind of setup to protect a sick or broody chicken without removing her from sight of the flock.

At this point, I would put her back but remove the #1 chicken, preferably for several days to a week. Then #1 will have to return at the bottom of the pecking order. This is your problem, that the one who was injured returned at the bottom of the order. If you have two bullies, take them both out for a week then return them.

You may have to play with this, there are different ways to shake up the pecking order, but it revolves around removing the bully. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by