Re-Introducing Chicks to Foster Hen

nrs3

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2021
I am currently in possession of 25 two day-old cornish roaster chicks. Yesterday night I tried introducing the chicks to two broody hens ( buff Orpingtons) and everything seem to go well at the time, however, when we when we checked up on them today, the mothers had excepted a few chicks, but rejected a good deal of them. They are currently separated and I had planned tonight to try again, but would it be better to just give up? I want to do what’s best for the babies, and that might be putting them in a brooder instead, but I’m not sure. Im afraid its likely the hens will reject them again.

If they are all the same color I would try again tonight by placing them under the hens. Are they capable of covering that many chicks?

If they are all the same color I would try again tonight by placing them under the hens. Are they capable of covering that many chicks?
It seemed like they were, admittedly, it was a bit of a squeeze but we live in north Florida and the coop os pretty warm so i had figured (maybe foolishly considering these hen’s shenanigans) that it was ok. Also, all the chicks are the same color.

Back
Top Bottom