re-introducing hen to flock - how to stop pecking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jehnschicks, Jan 11, 2015.

1. jehnschicks

jehnschicks New Egg

Dec 14, 2014
    I have an injured hen that has been healing away from the flock. Her wing was injured but is much better. It as been about 4 weeks that she has been away from the flock. We have tried to slowly re-introduce her back and kept her separated in a cage attached to the coop during the day. Every time we let them out in the yard they peck at her or she keeps away from the rest of the flock. Will they stop bullying her? Her wing is almost fully healed and we applied blue-kote so they would hopefully not see any injured area. any advise on getting her back with the flock is appreciated.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    She might need to stay separated until it's healed.

-Kathy

3. Sarah42

Sarah42 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2015
    When re-introducing hens back to a flock, I've always put them in the coop at night when it's almost pitch dark. Every night is like a reset button for them almost, chickens seem more accepting when they wake up to new (or 'new' in your case) chickens. But I agree that the spot should heal as well as possible since chickens will peck anything that they find strange or different. The re-introducing slowly though is still a good idea during the day, especially if it leads up to putting her in the coop at night. Good luck.

4. jehnschicks

jehnschicks New Egg

Dec 14, 2014
    Thanks! I am hopeful they will be a little more accepting each day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by