Re-introducing hen to flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lillypurrs23, Jun 27, 2011.

1. lillypurrs23

lillypurrs23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    We have 4 ten month old speckled sussex, and one of them stopped walking. (The vet thinks nerve damage from laying.) We brought her into the house to get better. She's better now, but the other 3 now pick on her. The worst one is the last one in the pecking order out of the three, she tries to stomp on her and chases her. The other two aren't as bad, but they still pick on her. How should we re-introduce her? At one point we took out the one that always attacks her, and her and the other 2 were getting along great. Then my mom brought out the aggressive one, and they started pecking her again. What should we do?

2. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    To a certain degree, this will have to be tolerated as it is typical pecking order behavior. Put several extra food and water containers in widely separated areas so there is always a place the reintroduced girl can go for nourishment. If all girls are back in the same coop at night, make it a habit to get up extra early & let them out so your girl isn't shut up inside with the others for long periods with no escape. As long as the reintroduced girl isn't being injured -- she should be fine. If viciousness is such that she is being injured or if she stops eating/drinking and mopes by herself- probably time to take action. What has worked for me is to put the worst perpetrator into a pen embedded inside the larger pen area. Perp gets to see the others getting along well & enjoying their time. After a couple days, let perp out with supervision. If she behaves, may work. Maybe during her separation, she fell a notch on the pecking order & is ready to be moe humble. If not, back she goes for another 24 hours, etc. Alternatively, you can put the hen lowest on the pecking order into the embedded pen & try the same tactic... but if she's doing fine with the other hens, I'd be inclined to send the perp to embedded lock-up. For what it's worth, this has worked for me in the past...

3. lillypurrs23

lillypurrs23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Okayyy, thanks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by