Re-introducing injured hen to flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by photo chick, Dec 19, 2013.

1. photo chick

photo chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Essex, VT
    Last week I had to remove a hen because she hurt her wing. It had to be wrapped and she needed to be kept still while she recovered. I thought this might happen...when I tries to put her back in the barn today they all viscously attacked her. So much so that I had to remove her.

I have heard of the suggestion to put them together at night. I could do that except I don't think this hen can roost yet. So the only place I can put her would be in the hay loft. It's where the rooster hangs out at night so it might work. I'm just worried that they'll attack her again at daylight before I get there to rescue her.

HELP!!!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  2. CackedNut

CackedNut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2013
    St. Tammany
    [​IMG]

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Can you split the barn with wire fencing so they can see each other but are physically separate?
    Can you put her in the wire crate in the barn for a few days? That might help with reacclimation.
    Or take another hen to sit with her in isolation then move them both back in?

Just a few ideas. I don't know what that post above is about regarding the hen problem.

4. CackedNut

CackedNut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2013
    St. Tammany
    Sorry I posted in the wrong forum. I'm such a nerd sometimes...it's a gift. [​IMG]
    I agree with aart's suggestion. Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by