Re-Introducing Injured pullet

sunshine23

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 22, 2010
Hialeah, FL
I thought my SLW had been killed by my next door dog last Sunday since I found her feathers outside and was too heartbroken to keep looking for her, well today my hubby was tending to his pigeons and a kid came asking if we had lost a chicken because there was one close by hiding in some bamboo trees, my husband said yes and he showed him where my Lia was.

Hubby went there and brought her home, she's injured on her back (looks like a big dog bite) and is missing her tail, she was very hungry and thirsty. I cleaned her wounds and put some antibiotic cream.

My other 5 girls gave her a hard time eventhough it's been only 6 days, so I kept an eye on them for a while and didn't let them hurt her even more. I thought of putting her in a separate cage to sleep but she climbed up together with them and they left her alone, I checked a few times tonight and they seem fine with her now.

My question is: Will they go back to pecking her in the morning or will they finally accept her after spending the night together?

QUESTION: She's pooping really really small amounts, is this normal??

This is how she was found
hit.gif
but I'm very thankful she's alive

61284_dsc04358.jpg

61284_dsc04359.jpg

61284_dsc04362.jpg

61284_dsc04372.jpg

Last edited:
It has been my experience that chickens will peck at anything that seems out of place, so if her scabs are visible you ought to keep her seperate until her feathers grow to cover it.

Glad she survived her ordeal, though! Lucky girl.

Poor sweetie!! I'm so glad she survived!

I agree, I'd separate her until she's healed. You can dress her wound, and keep it clean better. Maybe she can be your nice house chicken for a while?
love.gif

Thank you for the replies, you were right, they were attacking her when I checked on her a little while ago and they made her wounds worst.

I noticed she's not pooping normal, her poop is really small...is this normal after a week of barely eating out there I'm sure?

Quote:
I'm sure. Nothing in, nothing out.

After she heals up, you might want to get a bit inventive about putting her back. If you just put her in there by herself, she will be at the bottom of the pecking order. You could choose one submissive or gentle or friendly hen and put her with the injured one for a day or two. You could pick out the pack leader and isolate her for a few days while you return the injured one to the flock. Besides putting her on the roost at night, some people also have success with having everybody busy with a treat they have to chase or that takes time to finish when they re-introduce a hen. Just shake up the pecking order.

I had a very similar situaton a couple months ago and wounds were more severe. Bird could not walk for a week. While on mend, she stayed with a relatively damaged game rooster. Once she could walk, she rejoined flock at bottom of pecking order. She required aide to reach roost but otherwise in free range setting she was not bothered by flockmates.

Quote:
I agree with this - I have had great success reintroducing a hen I've had separated for illness when I have TWO of them out of the flock instead of just one. I usually will take an extra one out just for that reason, even if she could stay with the flock. However, I would wait until that wound is looking pretty healed, spray with Blue Kote, and even add a hen saddle that covers the area if possible. I have found that helps a lot when somebody has been pecked.

I usually release mine that have been separated when the others are other free-ranging - and preoccupied with looking for food. I like ddawn's idea of giving them a treat that takes a while to consume to preoccupy them!

Quote:
I'm sure. Nothing in, nothing out.

After she heals up, you might want to get a bit inventive about putting her back. If you just put her in there by herself, she will be at the bottom of the pecking order. You could choose one submissive or gentle or friendly hen and put her with the injured one for a day or two. You could pick out the pack leader and isolate her for a few days while you return the injured one to the flock. Besides putting her on the roost at night, some people also have success with having everybody busy with a treat they have to chase or that takes time to finish when they re-introduce a hen. Just shake up the pecking order.

Thank you, I appreciate your reply, I will try doing that once she's healed
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom