Re-introducing my pair of Muscovies back to the flock...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DawnB, Mar 19, 2013.

1. DawnB

DawnB Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all, question. I had to separate my duck and drake to the "honeymoon suite" in the garage. I'm guessing they're gonna be hanging out there for at least another couple of weeks (or until the snow melts around here dramatically!). Will there be any weird-ness when I re-introduce them? They were raised since hatchlings with the chickens and the gander.

There just hasn't been enough room for them (or at least, my drake Albert) to get out of the way of my pair of geese. They pummeled him pretty badly (he looked like Rocky Balboa...bloody nose, swollen eye...Yo Adrian!).

He has completely mended and looks normal again. But, until the run thaws out and there's enough space, I can't risk putting them back in the coop.

What will be the best way to re-introduce? When I had to separate my duck a few months back, I just popped her back into the run with the others. She did fine (and so did everyone else). But, she was only separated a couple of weeks. The pair will be separated at least 4wks, maybe even 6wks if this blasted snow doesn't stop!

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Dawn

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    First, it is delightful to see you thinking about everyone's well-being, and possible worst case. Would be nice if I did that more often![​IMG]

And I would reintroduce them slowly, as if they were new. Use a temporary fence to keep them separate at first, let them check each other out, not leave them alone overnight until they have demonstrated that there is no serious conflict. It may not take long, since they used to be used to each other. But knowing what you know, don't leave it up to them to avoid trouble.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    X2

4. DawnB

Thanks guys,

I figured a slow approach would be better...but I just wanted to throw it out there and get other opinions. It's funny, up until breeding season started with my geese, Albert and my gander (Frank) were best friends. The ducks would follow the gander around when they were all out free ranging. They were never very far apart, but never hostile towards each other.

Oh well, so it goes with boys! Now if we could only get Mom Nature to quit with the snow works already, I'd be happy!

Thanks again!

5. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    They may end up okay more quickly.

I had geese for the first time last year and they attacked my ducklings that hatched in December. The geese went to freezer camp.

6. DawnB

Well, I like my geese (so far). They haven't gone after anyone else except the drake. They poke at the chickens a bit if they get too close while my goose is nesting, but I think the gander was considering the drake as another suitor for his girlfriend!

If they went after my kids...another story! But, he hasn't done that. He quite clearly knows that they, along with my husband and I are the bosses of the coop & run when we're in there. He is finally catching on that if he hisses, we make him run laps. Their feet are funny to listen to! He stopped hissing for the most part (unless we walk in on the goose while she's laying). Usually, if I'm inside, they go out to the run and vice versa.

I'm hoping that we'll have some goslings come spring (that will be going to freezer camp in the fall). So, they better be on their best behavior...they have a job to do! LOL

7. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I'm glad for you. I actually ended up with 1 female and 4 males so 2 had already gone to freezer camp. The female started laying and I know they were only being protective and hormonal but I raise my birds for meat and couldn't have them potentially attacking babies. I also wasn't thrilled with the meat from the first ones. So, to freezer camp they went.

I know a number of people that have both together without problems, or at least many problems. I just didn't want to build a new enclosure for somehting I wasn't going to raise for meat. I do miss their alarm calls though. I had 4 Africans and a Chinese. I may consider getting some again when I have the time/money/desire to build a seperate enclosure.

I'm glad your drake recovered well and best of luck with a quick reintroduction.

8. DawnB

jdywntr - what was it about the goose meat that you didn't like? Taste, texture? Just curious...I've heard it's very good, which is why I got the new goose (that and her eggs)...

Thanks again.

9. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I don't know that I'd be able to pinpoint it. It wasn't bad just wasn't [​IMG]. I just skinned mine but have heard that roasted goose is great (and if I had a set up to easily pluck, I'd have tried). I didn't know that goose breast has a silver skin that should be removed or its very tough, at first. But even after brining, removing silver skin etc it wasn't as tender as I'd like. We are REALLY fond of muscovy so I just gave them more room in the house to breed.

I ended up making jerky out of most of the breast meat, YUMMY. And still have leg quarters in the freezer. For those I usually make chili or stew.

10. DawnB

Interesting! Well, I'll give it a shot for one season. If it's good, I'll keep at it, if not...I'll get really big eggs! [​IMG]

I'm hoping to breed my muscovies for meat too...I've heard it's delicious! How old do you let your ducklings get before butchering? (just curious)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by