Re-introducing once injured chicken to the other girls

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Laurie Taylor, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Laurie Taylor

Laurie Taylor New Egg

Sep 27, 2011
    We had a coyote attack a few weeks back. Lost one girl, two are fine, the other one is blind in one eye. We've had her alone in the garage in a pen for four weeks. She is as healed as she's going to get. We want to put her back with the other two. We're afraid they'll hurt her. Should we just put her in the "chicken yard" and let nature take it's course?? Any advise about how to re-introduce them would be appreciated.
    :) L

2. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Hey there [​IMG] I would put her in the run witht he other but keep her in her cage, kennel or whatever you have her in right now. This way you can slowly introduce her back in. After a few weeks of putting her out during the day with others and put her back in at night you can let her out and observe how the others act like. If she still has bloody spots or scabs on her you will want to wait with that as chickens will instinctively peck on anything red. Hope that helps.

3. Laurie Taylor

Laurie Taylor New Egg

Sep 27, 2011
    Great advise!! Thank you!
    :) L

4. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Good luck Laurie and [​IMG] Let us know if you need any more help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by