Re-introduction & Temps

chickslovinmama

Chirping
May 11, 2022
Aurora, CO
Hello,
We have a silkie that's almost a year old. She got attacked by a fox and she has had to be inside with us for almost 2 months. We have 2 other silkies that are the same age that she grew up with, but now due to her having to be inside they have undoubtedly forgotten about her. We have tried re-introducing her to them but they either take turns pecking at her (sometimes non stop) and jumping on her or they gang up on her. We've tried separating them and then putting them back together but it seems to be the same thing. I feel bad for her because she just stops and let's them do it and then when they move on she sometimes continues on or she just stands there hunched down. She stops eating or drinking if they come near. I just want my flock to be happy little campers again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I also have a question about what temperature is too cold for them to be outside. We live in Colorado and even when its below freezing they squawk and want to go out. Just don't want them to get frost bite or anything like that. Sorry for the long post. Lol

For re-introduction, maybe you can divide the pen, or put another pen next to the current one. That way the two Silkies can be in one pen, and the one who was inside can be in the other pen (or other side of a divided pen.) Living next to each other lets them get re-acquainted without being able to hurt each other. Wait at least a week or two, until all three seem comfortable around each other. This would include her being able to eat and drink without worrying that the others are near. Then try letting them be together while you supervise. It might take longer than that, or it might not. Part of the problem is how they are acting (bullies) and part of the problem is how she acts (she expects to be picked on, and acts terrified.) Having them live next to each other helps with both sides of that, letting her regain confidence and act bolder while they get used to seeing her but not bullying her.

For temperature, it is usually safe to let chickens have access to outdoors, as long as they are free to go back inside when they want to. You could try letting them out and watch what they do-- they may decide that a few minutes is long enough, or they may be quite happy outside for a longer stretch.

For re-introduction, maybe you can divide the pen, or put another pen next to the current one. That way the two Silkies can be in one pen, and the one who was inside can be in the other pen (or other side of a divided pen.) Living next to each other lets them get re-acquainted without being able to hurt each other. Wait at least a week or two, until all three seem comfortable around each other. This would include her being able to eat and drink without worrying that the others are near. Then try letting them be together while you supervise. It might take longer than that, or it might not. Part of the problem is how they are acting (bullies) and part of the problem is how she acts (she expects to be picked on, and acts terrified.) Having them live next to each other helps with both sides of that, letting her regain confidence and act bolder while they get used to seeing her but not bullying her.

For temperature, it is usually safe to let chickens have access to outdoors, as long as they are free to go back inside when they want to. You could try letting them out and watch what they do-- they may decide that a few minutes is long enough, or they may be quite happy outside for a longer stretch.
Thank you. :) Wewill give that a try and see how it goes.

They are usually in the coop and then we put them in a tractor during the day (due to predators) so they can run around and do what they want, but we just werent sure what too cold wouldbe for them. Same with leaving them in the coop at night during the cold temperatures. We do have a heater in the coop, but on really cold nights the heater only keeps it at about 23-26. Is that okay for them?

Thank you. :) Wewill give that a try and see how it goes.

They are usually in the coop and then we put them in a tractor during the day (due to predators) so they can run around and do what they want, but we just werent sure what too cold wouldbe for them. Same with leaving them in the coop at night during the cold temperatures. We do have a heater in the coop, but on really cold nights the heater only keeps it at about 23-26. Is that okay for them?

For putting them in the tractor, make sure they have a place to be out of the wind, and watch how they act. If they are active and seem healthy, they should be fine. If they huddle and look miserable, give them more shelter or put them back inside.

For nighttime temperatures, it might be nice if it stayed above freezing (32 F), because then the water would not freeze and there would be no risk of frostbite. But I would expect the chickens to be fine at 23-26 degrees Fahrenheit also. You will just need to bring them fresh water regularly, or have a heated water dish.

I would also look around at what they can stand or perch on. Metal, stone, and concrete can get really cold, and chickens standing on them would be more likely to get frostbitten toes. Wood perches, and plenty of bedding on the floor, would protect their feet a bit better.

For putting them in the tractor, make sure they have a place to be out of the wind, and watch how they act. If they are active and seem healthy, they should be fine. If they huddle and look miserable, give them more shelter or put them back inside.

For nighttime temperatures, it might be nice if it stayed above freezing (32 F), because then the water would not freeze and there would be no risk of frostbite. But I would expect the chickens to be fine at 23-26 degrees Fahrenheit also. You will just need to bring them fresh water regularly, or have a heated water dish.

I would also look around at what they can stand or perch on. Metal, stone, and concrete can get really cold, and chickens standing on them would be more likely to get frostbitten toes. Wood perches, and plenty of bedding on the floor, would protect their feet a bit better.
They have 2 wooden perches in the coop and in the tractor we give them thick branches that they like to perch on. We have a heated pad to keep their water from freezing, but we're looking into a heated water bowl for them for the coop cuz the one we have is too big. I appreciate all the advice and information. It's been a learning curve for us as we're first time chicken raisers. They have become a part of the family and so we treat them as such. So we try to take as good of care of them as we possibly can. Sometimes I think our chickens are a little spoiled. Lol But I wouldnt have it any other way. 😁

Back
Top Bottom