Re-introduction

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rtflanagan, Feb 21, 2014.

1. rtflanagan

rtflanagan Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2014
    We have a barred Rock hen who was attacked by our dog who I am trying to re-introduce to the flock. She suffered a open fracture of her left wing and had a whole ripped in her skin close to her neck. This sight saved her life ( the sugar coating on her wound did amazing). She is able to move her wing, amazingly; though she can't get on a roost yet. She has been inside for a couple weeks and has had supervised visits with the flock. I build her a small pen next to the flock for the hens and rooster to get used to her again. But, every time I put her back into the flock the rooster attacks her. Sits on her until the hens come over and start pecking her face. The hens seems to be ok with her coming back into the flock even though my buff Orpington is the most aggressive to her. I'm not sure if I should wait a couple more weeks or if the rooster has to go. He has been attacking me lately every time I come into the pen.

Any suggestions?

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Her's just telling you he is the dominant roo, not you. Some people accept this in their roos and some do not. Obviosuly, those who have ids who are around the chickens are less likely to tolerate people aggressive cocks.

I'd leave her separated for at least a month. Then, perhaps you could remove him and see how it goes with just the hens. She is likely to have a rough time, most likely, no matter what you do, since she will be at the bottom of the pecking order.

Some of the info in this thread and its links might be helpful:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/803815/integrating-two-groups/0_20

3. rtflanagan

Feb 21, 2014
    Thank You. We used to have a roo that attacked the kids but not us obviously he didn't last long. This one just likes to attack me.
    I'm hoping Java (the hen) can join the flock soon. She seems to want to be with them.

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Hahaha, you didn't want to be head cockerel, anyway, did you?

Hope things go well!

5. rtflanagan

Feb 21, 2014
    Java flew yesterday!!! Yahoo! The skin is growing over the bone. Kinda gross and considering I didn't think she was ever going to be able to use her wing; I'm so excited. Yesterday everyone got to free range while the dogs were inside and hubby was building my new coop. Everyone did really well together. I'm hoping soon she will be accepted back into the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by