1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Re: Last hatch of chicks, butt stuck in bottom of the shell

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickNLittle, Apr 23, 2008.

1. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Ok, I hatch some more chickens yesterday. These are White Leghorns. They were two days late. I had trouble with them trying to get out of the shells. 50% of them came half- way out before swallowing the yoke, so I left them alone. They finally swallowed the yoke, but still after hours could not get out of the bottom of the shell. Some of them did, but of course they were still attached. So again I left them alone. There were two still left with the shell hanging from their butt and they were just laying there. Finally this morning, the one of them finally kicked the shell off and became detached. There was a drop or two of blood on his hinny but that was it. He is still laying in the brooder, he is showing movement, but his butt or whatever is usually attached to the last "string" seems to be slightly pooched out. The other one is still not detached from the egg. She/he is out, but it looks like gooey stuff still in the bottom of the egg, not a lot, but its there. Should I just leave her alone? Better yet, should I leave both of them alone and hope they will come through just fine? If not, how long should I wait?

2. hiddenmagnolia

hiddenmagnolia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Is the chick stuck to the egg it self or is it just the part next to the egg sack that is still attached to the egg.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  3. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I would leave them alone myself and see how it goes. What I would be worried about is your incubator. If your hatch was 2 days late, and had these kinds of issues, it sounds like you were running your incubator too low to me.

4. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Magnolia

Right now it looks like he/she is just dragging around an eggshell behind her by a "thread". She don't move very much though. Her stomach looks like she definitely swallowed the yoke. Tehe! She is in there drying, and actually all the chicks are right with each other. I'm just afraid to break the "thread" that is holding on to her "butt"?

Cuda

I know the temp had to be haywired as this is the second batch that was bone late. Even though I used two thermometers and they said 101. Hmmm.....Maybe I need to make my own incubator. My hovabator is fine it seems. It seems to be holding temp a lot better than the LG has. But then again it could be my thermometers. [​IMG]

5. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Yep, there are a lot of factors that can screw up a hatch, just trying to help ya get a better hatch next time. If you are using one of those digital walmart thermometers I would try a mercury one. Also, I didn't catch the thread part about the egg shell. If it is just a thread, cut it, just not close to the bird and it will be fine. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by